2940 lift will not go down

/ 2940 lift will not go down #1  

edjones72

Tractor
Yanmar YM2210, Cub Cadet 2166, JD2940, Mustang 440 skidsteer
The 2940's lift will suddenly not go down. I then remove the control lever leaving just the float control and lift linkage exposed. With patience, I can move the lift and float linkage at the same time until they "interact" again. The lift will work again and I reconnect everything. A week goes by and the same thing happens while out harrowing. Any advice as to what is happening. I fear it is a linkage problem inside the rock shaft housing that will be beyond my repair capabilities.

Eric

/ 2940 lift will not go down #2  
Sounds like, from your explanation, that something came loose. Your worst fear.

/ 2940 lift will not go down #3  
I also think you have internal linkage problem. Not that big of a deal if open station tractor. If a cab tractor, cab will probably need to come off.

/ 2940 lift will not go down
It's an open tractor but it appears to be very involved to get to the linkage. The way I see it the entire top housing with the rock shaft has to be removed. Am I right in this assumption?

/ 2940 lift will not go down #5  
Is there a tech manual (paper or CD) available for this model?

/ 2940 lift will not go down #6  
If you don't have a repair manual or the parts manual - go online - and take a look at the parts schematics on JDparts. That may give you a much better idea of the details of the repair job.

AKfish