54" deck on 2305 cutting unevenly

/ 54" deck on 2305 cutting unevenly #1  

Ironhand

Bronze Member
Last night I mowed and noticed that on the discharge side of the deck, the outer sweep of the blade was cutting about 1" lower than the rest of the deck. Didn't matter if the tractor was leaning one way or the other or whether the lawn was smooth or bumpy. When I last mowed 4 days ago everything was OK.

I parked the tractor on my level floor and the deck is hanging evenly on both sides. Tire pressures are correct. The adjustable links at the deck lift arms are adjusted evenly. Rotating the blades by hand, everything looks OK - don't appear to be bent, etc.

I only have about 25 hours on the tractor. Maybe 10 on the deck.

I'm stupmed. Any ideas? Thanks.

/ 54" deck on 2305 cutting unevenly #2  
Just a thought.. Just because the deck is hanging evenly, doenst necessary mean that the blades are equal distance from the floor.. It appears that the lower edge of my deck (62D) varies in height a lot..

You really need to check the blades front->back and side->side, measuring height off of the floor..

good luck
brian

/ 54" deck on 2305 cutting unevenly #4  
I second KennyD's advice on the gauge. It is a must-have in my opinion. When properly leveled these decks give an outstanding cut. I'm still amazed at the performance of this three-bladed deck. For who knows what reason even though I make no changes to my deck or tractor when storing the deck for the winter each spring the deck needs a little tweaking.

/ 54" deck on 2305 cutting unevenly #5  
check your tire pressure. this was my issue.

/ 54" deck on 2305 cutting unevenly #6  
Since you say the tire pressures are correct, then rotate the blade 360 degree and see that the blade tips meet with the blade tips of the center blade (and that they are the same tip heights).

Sounds like you have a bent blade, and just don't see it (yet).

Another way, remove the blades and nest them together. Any bend in them will show.

And they bend easy if a heavy dense stick or stump is encountered.

Good luck. There is no mystery to cutting 1" lower with one blade. :)

/ 54" deck on 2305 cutting unevenly
Since you say the tire pressures are correct, then rotate the blade 360 degree and see that the blade tips meet with the blade tips of the center blade (and that they are the same tip heights).

Sounds like you have a bent blade, and just don't see it (yet).

Another way, remove the blades and nest them together. Any bend in them will show.

And they bend easy if a heavy dense stick or stump is encountered.

Good luck. There is no mystery to cutting 1" lower with one blade. :)

Reporting back on what I found... Nesting the blades was an excellent idea. I found the bend, and we're back in business. Thanks for all of the tips.

/ 54" deck on 2305 cutting unevenly #8  
Were you able to straighten the bent blade? Or did you have to replace it?

My dealer won't sell a single blade. Offers the set of three . . . only.

/ 54" deck on 2305 cutting unevenly
Were you able to straighten the bent blade? Or did you have to replace it?

My dealer won't sell a single blade. Offers the set of three . . . only.

I bent it back. I clamped it straight up/down in my bench vise with the "low" end up, slid a 24" adjustable wrench over it, and pulled for all I was worth. It took all of my 6'4" and 250lbs to move it enough and took a few tries.

/ 54" deck on 2305 cutting unevenly #10  
I usually buy a new set, and keep the unbent ones for spares the next time it happens. :) A set isn't that expensive not to have extras around.