Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #1  

ClemBert

Tractor
Kubota M7060
This post could apply to other John Deere tractors but it is written specific to the JD 5x20 series (5220, 5320, 5420, 5520) tractors as I own a 5320 model. You may find that your non-5x20 tractor exhibits similar problems and may find this information helpful in your diagnostic process.

There are a number of reasons why a 5x20 series tractor may experience startup problems. This post will cover a few of the most basic of those issues experienced with what would otherwise be considered equipment in good working order and not experiencing engine component failure.

FAILURE #1

The 5x20 series tractor is notorious for startup problems relating to it's inherently poor fuel system design. Specifically, the 5x20 series tractor does not have a fuel pump but rather relies on a gravity fed system plus some minor suction from the fuel injector pump. The 5x20 series tractor design places the fuel tank approximately level or below the fuel filter and fuel injector. Because of this AND coupled with the lack of a fuel pump a common complaint is that the fuel system loses it's prime. The problem is observed much more when the fuel tank is allowed to get to half full or less AND the tractor is allowed to sit over an extended period of time. Loss of fuel prime requires the operator to go through the fuel system priming process and may involve two or three minutes of accumulated engine turnover before the fuel prime is restored and the engine fires.

Refer to your owner's manual for the fuel system priming process. Note: the injection pump is self priming however you must loosen the bleed screw on the injection pump and force any air out of the system by operating the hand pump on top of the fuel filter assembly.

It is hard to say why the 5x20 series tractors sometimes lose their fuel prime. Theoretically this should not happen. However, it does happen and John Deere has acknowledged this issue by generating a service solution. Refer to John Deere technical solution #54399. This solution involves the installation of an electric fuel pump. The John Deere part number for the fuel pump is KV13829. It costs approximately $90.

FAILURE #2

The 5x20 series fuel system includes the use of a check valve between the fuel tank and the fuel filter. This check valve is meant to provide a one way directional flow of fuel from the tank to the filter. Fuel can only pass in one direction and the check valve is there to prevent fuel from flowing the opposite direction and thus a loss of fuel prime. However, as we know from above, the 5x20 series can and sometimes does lose it's prime. Unfortunately, this check valve can get plugged up and thus blocks the delicate flow of fuel from the tank to the fuel filter. This blockage can eventually prevent your tractor from starting up.

Not only can this check valve get plugged up with debris introduced by the operator but it may, in fact, get plugged up by debris in the fuel tank left over from the manufacturing process. Yes, this means that for some folks their check valve is getting plugged up because of poor manufacturing processes at the factory or sloppy workmanship. Specifically, the fuel tank on this series of tractor is made of a polymer plastic type material. When fuel line tap holes are drilled into the newly manufactured tank it isn't uncommon for some of these plastic shavings to remain in the tank. Eventually and over time these small shavings may end up clogging the fuel line check valve. To fix the problem either clear the check valve by removing it and blowing compressed air though it or more appropriately replace the check valve. JD part #AL117189 is a simple plastic check valve that sells for approximately $12 at your JD dealer.

In addition, you may find that debris has also found it's way into the fuel hand priming pump located on top of the fuel filter. The priming pump is easily disassembled for cleaning without tools. Simply unscrewed the plastic ring sitting around the pump remove all the components and clean before reassembling. Pay attention to how the parts are assembled during the cleaning process.

FAILURE #3

If the issues above are not your problem, that is, you don't have a clogged fuel system and you have re-established the prime by performing the priming procedure then the problem could be the fuel shutoff solenoid. The fuel shutoff solenoid is responsible for shutting off the flow of fuel to the injection pump when the key is turned to the OFF position. When the key is turned to the ON position the solenoid makes a "click" sound as the fuel is allowed to flow into the injector pump as the solenoid activates. If you don't hear a "click" sound when you turn the key to the "ON" position it is possible that the either the fuel shutoff solenoid needs to be replaced or electric current is not flowing from the key switch to the solenoid.

You can test the solenoid directly without involving the key switch circuit. To do this make sure the key in in the OFF position. Take a long wire or jumper cable and connect one end to the positive (+) terminal of your tractor battery. Touch the other end of the wire or jumper cable to the positive (+) terminal of the fuel shutoff solenoid. You should hear it "click" as the solenoid activates. If this occurs then your fuel shutoff solenoid is in good working order. Otherwise you will need to replace the solenoid. If it is established that the fuel shutoff solenoid is good the next thing to check will be the fuse for it in the fuse box. Refer to your owner's manual for location of the fuel shutoff solenoid fuse or look on the back of the fuse box cover for a fuse map. If the fuse is blown replace it. If the fuse is good then the key switch may be bad.

OTHER ISSUES

Hopefully, if you had a problem starting up your JD 5x20 series tractor, the three solutions above took care of your issue. If not, then obviously the problem could be a lot more complicated or expensive. I won't cover those possible issues here but the problem may be:

1. Cold climate and glow plug failure.
2. Injector pump failure.
3. Injectors clogged.

Good luck. I hope this post helps someone. If anyone wants to post follow up information or additional useful info then please do so.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #2  
Thats right

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #3  
Very informative. Thanks for posting such a detailed solution to the problem. Very helpful.

AKfish

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #4  
One thing that I have found to help alot is to install a in-line filter before the check valve. A RE220719 filter works well. Just cut the rubber fuel line between the tank and the check valve. This prevents the larger dirt particles and shavings from contaminating the check valve and the primer pump.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520
One thing that I have found to help alot is to install a in-line filter before the check valve. A RE220719 filter works well. Just cut the rubber fuel line between the tank and the check valve. This prevents the larger dirt particles and shavings from contaminating the check valve and the primer pump.

I'd be afraid that adding an in-line filter would further restrict the flow of fuel in a system that already exhibits poor gravity feed.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #6  
Great post. We have a 2002 model 5420. It has been a great tractor considering its lack of use (only about 450 hours).

Seems like everytime we took it to the dealer for an oil service, the service manager took it upon himself to put on a new primer pump. My FIL was paying so I wasn't so mad myself but made a mental note. Sure enough, next service interval, he did it again....:mad: Charging my FIL for something that can be cleaned. I told 'em the next time, "no matter what, do NOT put one on". They are easily cleaned like you mentioned.

One of the rare things that actually went bad on the tractor were the stock fuel lines. Maybe because we used JD diesel fuel conditioner for a couple of years maybe not. Anyway, there is a line to the primer and a return line. It was a bit of a chore to drop the tank down a few inches with a jack under it and using the old line taped to the new one, to snake them thru under the isolated platform. One of those jobs that only takes $12 worth of parts but a 1/2 days worth of time...

I put a small filter before the primer pump and it works like a charm. Been this way since last year. things are best if you just start it once a month or so. Its been a great tractor. I'm lucky my FIL lets me use it.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #7  
This was such a great website, that I had to join up. I just went through the whole starting trouble deal. I was convinced that I had air in the lines, but prime as I might...no luck.

I found this website, and by using the post above...was able to troubleshoot the problem. Mine was an issue with the electric shut off. I ran a wire from the + side of the battery to the + side of the electric shut off and was able to hear the click that I had been waiting on. I then went to the fuse box, and yes...blown fuse on the C1.

I would like to add that at this time I called my local JD dealer, and they told me to trace the positive wire from the electric shut off, located on top of the inj. pump. It will T into another wire that runs to the warm up feature that is for cold weather start up. If you are looking at the inj. pump, look just above it and you will see 2 wires that go up to the turbo. They told me that that switch often times goes bad and will cause you to keep blowing fuses. I unhooked it, and the tractor fired right up.

Hi chunt!

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

I'm glad this thread helped you fix your problem. There is nothing more frustrating than turning the starter over and over and over and not getting ignition. I wrote that basic diagnostic procedure because I experienced all three failures. Those three diagnostic processes are simple enough that anyone, who can change oil, should easily be able go through them. It doesn't make any sense to call up the local dealer and have him pick up your tractor and spend all the money and down time when one can do it much faster and cheaper than the dealer.

Thank you for taking the time to post the comment concerning the "warm up switch" issue. I took a look at the detailed wiring schematics for the 5x20 series tractors. I could not find an exact match for the description the dealer gave you. I did, however, find an optional feature called the "air intake heater" which is used to heat intake air to aid in cold weather starts. From the wiring diagram it shows a separate 30 amp fuse to service this feature. You didn't state the model of your tractor so maybe it is a different setup.

If I blow another fuse it'll be the first place I'll go to investigate although I'm pretty sure I don't have the air intake heater option. For now, the fuse issue seems to be a one time event. I did note that when I opened my fuse panel to check fuses I did find two mud wasp nests in there. This may or may not have contributed to the blown fuse.

A fellow member (Dorie) to this forum obtained a text version of the previously mentioned Solution Number 54399 and emailed it to me per my request to post it here. Unfortunately, the seven pictures that accompany this solution aren't part of the the text sent to me. But, it will give you a good idea of what is involved. So here it is.....

Solution Number: 54399

Solution Summary: Cab & IOOS - Tractor fuel system loses prime after sitting several days and/or experiences fuel starvation under load.

Publication Date: Sep 4 2008

Complaint or Symptom :

For Cab and IOOS Tractors only.

1. Fuel system loses prime after sitting several days and tractor is hard to start.

2. Engine RPM drops suddenly.

Problem or Situation :

1. The tractor fuel supply allows fuel to drain back towards the fuel tank causing the injection pump to lose prime, resulting in hard starting.

2. While operating under a load, the engine will suddenly lose RPM. The fuel system and injection pump test results are within specification, but the tractor is starving for fuel under certain conditions.

Solution :

Check for any leaks, loose clamps, restrictions, and pinched fuel hoses. Also inspect the fuel strainer, the check valve, and the fuel filter primer assembly's plugs and diaphragm. If these items do not resolve the issue, installing an electric fuel pump may help.

Install electric fuel pump and re-reroute lines.

1. Cut the fuel supply line and install electric fuel pump AL168483. See photos for mounting: 54399a. 54399b.

2. Route the pump outlet to the Filter inlet - 1 piece line.

3. On the Front side of the Filter Head, remove the plug that is on the Engine side. Install 61M5015 Elbow fitting, the opening should be facing downward. Install Barbed Fitting R268896 and Nut 38H5078. See photo: 54399c.

4. Use the same size Fuel line that is used for the Return line.

5. Route the line from this fitting on the Filter Head, to the Rear of the engine where the Fuel Return line connects.

6. Install N154080 Tee Fitting, this Tee will connect the Return from the Engine & Filter/Water Separator to the Fuel Return to Tank line. See photos: 54399d. 54399e.

7. Disconnect the PTO switch, the pump wiring harness will connect between the PTO switch & the cab harness.

8. Connect the red and black wires with ring terminals to switched power at the accessory junction block and the long lead (green and black) to the fuel pump using the short jumper harness. Unless the harness manufacturer made a mistake; the wire terminals on the pump are sized differently to fit the correct terminals. Also, the end of the pump is marked near the terminal posts. See photo: 54399f.

9. Run the harness branch with the relay and the Tee connectors across the back of the cab and under the cover with the controller. See photo: 54399g.

10. Remove the RE206064 jumper plug from the main harness and place the Tee in between.

FOR MACHINES WITH MECHANICAL PTO:

1. For power, splice into the PTO switch harness connection at the mechanical engagement handle.

2. Change the eyelet on the harness to connect to the main fuse panel stud.

3. Run a ground wire to a suitable location on the tractor.

To install this pump you must order the following parts :

(1) - R269133 - Fuel Pump Mounting Plate
(1) - AL169412 - Clamp
(1) - 19M7867 - Screw
(1) - 14M7298 - Flange Nut
(1) - AL168483 - Fuel Pump
(1) - AL154046 - Fitting
(1) - RE218699 - Fitting
(1) - 14M7139 - Nut
(1) - R270247 - Nut
(1) - RE270815 - Wiring Harness
(1) - RE271703 - Wiring Harness
(1) - 61M5015 - Elbow Fitting (consists of 38H5015 elbow and T77814 o-ring)
(1) - R268896 - Barbed Fitting (this will be added to the end of 61M5015)
(1) - 38H5078 - Nut
(1) - N154080 - Tee Fitting
(4) - RE187161 - Clamp

Additional Information :

Reference electrical schematic R195771 or section SE 1.

IMPORTANT: Installing an electric fuel pump is not feasible for Straddle Mount or Narrow Tractors. Instead, check for any leaks, loose clamps, restrictions, and pinched fuel hoses. Also inspect the fuel strainer, the check valve, and the fuel filter primer assembly's plugs and diaphragm.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #10  
I thought I'd share my experience with my 5525 with 100hrs on it. Yes it doesn't start after sitting about 3 or 4 days. It has been in the shop, two dealers, for over 4 months in the 15 months I've owned it. New injection pump, filter assembly, lift pump added, check valve, a couple sensors etc. Still doesn't start. Not to mention the new hydraulic pump and the new dashboard. It is still under warranty, but this unit is a lemon and should be a disgrase to an American manufacturing icon. However, JD corporate just says its under warranty and we'll try to fix it. Unfortunately Texas doesn't have a lemon law on farm machinery. Since it is in the shop again, I've started discussions on trading it on another machine. Seems like JD takes your money (yes it is paid for), makes you jump through hoops to get the machine to run, and then wants more money to buy another product that may work. All the while you are not using the machine and borrowing equipment to do your work. I'm not too impressed.