Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520
It's been awhile since I've been on this forum and just noticed a lot of recent activity in this thread. I want to re-address one of the failure issues from my original post in order to be more specific as, for some, it may not be clear based on the follow up posts from others.

FAILURE #3 addresses the issue of cranking and cranking your 5X20 tractor for a long period without startup. Specifically, I wrote:

"You can test the solenoid directly without involving the key switch circuit. To do this make sure the key in in the OFF position. Take a long wire or jumper cable and connect one end to the positive (+) terminal of your tractor battery. Touch the other end of the wire or jumper cable to the positive (+) terminal of the fuel shutoff solenoid. You should hear it "click" as the solenoid activates. If this occurs then your fuel shutoff solenoid is in good working order. Otherwise you will need to replace the solenoid. If it is established that the fuel shutoff solenoid is good the next thing to check will be the fuse for it in the fuse box. Refer to your owner's manual for location of the fuel shutoff solenoid fuse or look on the back of the fuse box cover for a fuse map. If the fuse is blown replace it. If the fuse is good then the key switch may be bad."

However, I did not give the most likely remedy for the situation where the solenoid is good (based on the test above) and the fuse is blown. Others have mentioned that the problem could be a "temperature sensor" that is either shorted out or more likely just drawing too much current for your 20 amp fuse to handle. Specifically, they are talking about the "cold start advance" sensor. If you look at your injector pump you will notice that, in addition to the red wire from the key switch to the positive (+) terminal of the fuel solenoid, there is a positive (+) and a negative (-) wire that are part of a two wire harness. This two wire harness goes to the "cold start advance" sensor. This sensor is likely the cause of the problem with the blown fuse if you've already verified that the fuel solenoid is good. Historically, a lot of folks have seen the sensor go bad on several models of JD tractors, not just the 5X20 line.

So, when you've read, in this thread, that some folks "disconnected the wire" to fix the problem they are in fact talking about disconnecting the cold start advance sensor. You may disconnect just the positive (+) lead for the sensor. Obviously, the long term solution is to replace the sensor.

You may have noticed that after performing the "solenoid test" then replacing a blown fuse that your tractor starts up and runs fine over many startups even though you have NOT disconnected the wire(s) to the cold start advance sensor. You may be puzzled as to why this is the case. Again, most likely the sensor is drawing too much electrical current but it may be just below the threshold of blowing the 20 amp fuse. Over time, you will most likely see the fuse blow more and more often if nothing is done except to perform the solenoid test and replace the fuse. This is what I have observed with my 5320. That is, I can manually operate the fuel solenoid with the jumper wire from the positive (+) terminal of the battery then replace the fuse then be good to go for 6 to 12 startups until the fuse blows again. Clearly, I need to change the sensor or at least disconnect it until the replacement part shows up.

I hope this clarifies for some what others have posted in this thread.

Just to give an idea of where the aforementioned components are located I have included below a drawing of my engine (left side) from the JD 5320 tractor. The red circle shows the Cold Start Advance Sensor location. The blue circle shows the location where the two wire harness for the sensor is screwed onto the terminals located on the fuel injection pump.

ColdStartAdvance.png

I will do that. I did hear a clicking sound while the starter is turning. I thought that may be the soleniod.

That isn't "the click" we are talking about. With all the noise of the starter turning over the engine you will not hear the click. Besides, the click occurs just one time when the key is turn to the run position NOT the starter position. That is, without engaging the starter you should be able to hear the fuel solenoid click ONE TIME when the key is turned to the run position. If this is a 5320 then either stand as close as you can (left side ground level) to the injection pump or have someone stand next to it and listen for the click by turning the key switch on-and-off WITHOUT engaging the starter.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #44  
Anyone had their hour meter go out??? It is LCD and just stopped working (after loaning out to my wife's uncle)...:mad:

Just so you can see what the Cold Start Advance Sensor looks like:

Photo0363.jpg

The JD part you want to order is RE503242. It cost me $32 at my local JD dealer. It looks to be nothing more than a thermocouple that is part of the Cold Start Advance system. The thermocouple has a 2-wire pigtail with a connector. An O-ring is included with the part so no need to buy that separate.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #46  
Am I correct in assuming that all of the above applies to the 5310 also?

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #47  
Yea It's a JD (Junk Deere) a friend of mine has a 5310 and he has helped me with a lot of my problem it's just a year or two older one thing that did help I put a prime blub for a boat on my fuel line

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #48  
I have a JD 5210 same tractor as the JD 5310, less the turbo. I have had NO fuel related starting problems with it. When changing the fuel filter as long as I fill the tank and fill the fuel before putting it on, I do NOT have to bleed the tractor to start it. I have had to replace part RE503242. I do suggest that one put ty26488/ty26784 winter/summer fuel conditioner, since starting to use the conditioner the tractor starts up with just a f��lick of the key.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #49  
Yes that is exactly the issues that have taken place on this tractor... the inline elctric pump is what my dealer was trying to tell me about which i mentioned in my 1st post... I described a kit with an approximate cost of $287 which also included a new lift pump... I was not that deep into the issue when I made the 1st post so didnt fully realize what all parts I was being quoted.... I am gonna purchase the inline pump and check valve today... My dealer has quoted me $79.99 for pump and $19.99 for check valve so thats about what prices you have stated above... Thank you for the info as this is very helpful with part #'s and such.... Hopefully this will help prevent the reoccurance of the fuel prime issue.. Also it will save JD5210 alotta aggrivation of having to walk me thru the bleeding process again:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Just double check which fuel pump you want to use. I note that KV13829 is the part number I mentioned in post #1 but if you look at post #9, in this thread, you see I have the entire JD solution posted and it calls out for AL168483. I believe that a JD tech gave me the former number during a phone call but the latter part number obviously is from an official writeup for this particular issue. I am not sure what the difference is. I have not personally implemented the fuel pump solution. As others do I usually try to make sure my fuel tank is topped off if I plan to let the tractors sit there for weeks if not months. Also, I like to turn the manual fuel shutoff valve that sits near my fuel filter-hand pump to the "off" position when I plan to let the tractor sit for along time.