Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere F935

Default Yanmar/F935 rubber coupler/isolator

Hi, thanks for a great forum.

As you can see the new coupler is under stress when installed. Part of this is lack of clearance between the drive shaft and the flywheel and part is because the drive shaft connects at an angle rather than being perfectly straight. I am considering grinding off maybe .030 - .035 inch of the pads on one side. Will installing this way lead to premature failure? Looking for any suggestions or input on this situation.
    Thanks again.

Tractor
    John Deere 4110

Default Re: Yanmar/F935 rubber coupler/isolator

Welcome to TBN

I think you need to find the root cause of the mis-alignment, such as worn motor mounts or driveshaft supports.
    John Deere 4110HST
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks, I-Match, Ballast Box, #380 plow (modified to fit), Markham LD-48 Grapple, Trac-Vac 854 and lots of other STUFF.

John Deere 4x2 Turf Gator

View some of my projects/adventures in my Picasa Album

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere 3520 Cab, Deere F935

Quote Originally Posted by kennyd View Post
    I think you need to find the root cause of the mis-alignment, such as worn motor mounts or driveshaft supports.
    Common "problem"...but those isolators arent really a problem, its more of a wear/consumable part.

That being said...mine isnt as tight as yours is...its not loose, but not tight enough to deflect the rubber like yours.

Tractor
    jd 1070

Check for a broken or sagged enging mount. Mine is as straight as you could want but wore out anyways (F935).
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere 3520 Cab, Deere F935

Quote Originally Posted by zzvyb6 View Post
    Check for a broken or sagged enging mount. Mine is as straight as you could want but wore out anyways (F935).
    zzvyb6 is right, it SHOULD be perfectly straight...I bet thats where your misalignment comes from.

Tractor
    John Deere F935

Thanks for the input.
    I shaved .020 off each pad. That helped a lot. I can't believe how much smoother the mower is. That old coupler must have really let the drive shaft wobble around. I will try to get it straight when I have time. I have a lot of grass I need to mow and I have to spend a lot of time on this machine to keep it going.
    I was lucky to find the condition of the old coupler before it completely let go. I was under the machine installing the PTO clutch.

Tractor
    B3200, L5740,

You will find that the motor mounts have sagged. Mostly the rear ones. I had this problem with mine and it was the rear mounts. Having the alignment out that much also puts a strain on the input shaft to the transmission and it will eventually fail causing catastrophic failure. Big mess.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    1962 IH B414

what should the isolator bolts be torqued to, both the bolts to the driveshaft, and the mounting bolts to the pulley? do you also need blue loctite?

thanks

Gold Member
    Tractor
    1962 IH B414

another question...there is a raised "shoulder" on the isolator. does the shoulder go against the driveshaft flange and pulley (like in Bogarts pic), or does the flush edge of the isolator go against driveshaft & pulley. It could be put in either way, so which way is correct?

Tractor
    JD 955/70A/7 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
    Hi, thanks for a great forum.

As you can see the new coupler is under stress when installed. Part of this is lack of clearance between the drive shaft and the flywheel and part is because the drive shaft connects at an angle rather than being perfectly straight. I am considering grinding off maybe .030 - .035 inch of the pads on one side. Will installing this way lead to premature failure? Looking for any suggestions or input on this situation.
    Thanks again.
    You are off by one bolt hole on the installation of your new coupler. Remove all the bolts, rotate the coupler 60 degrees and reinstall all the bolts. Of course, now that you've shaved some material off the new coupler, that might cause "new" alignment issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast