Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 2320

Default 62d mower blade selection?

I have a 2008 62d drive over mower deck mounted onto my 2320. I am looking to get a spare set of blades so that I can change them out quickly and resharpen the spare set whenever I have some spare time. I am wondering what everyone out there is using for blades? From what I understand my deck came with a "standard lift" blade. I believe there is also a high lift blade, and a "gator" blade for this mower. My deck seems to cut pretty well now, but will these other blades do a better job? I have areas of my lawn that tend to grow faster than others and whenever I mow these areas I seem to get a windrow effect. Before I splurge and buy a new set of blades what has been your experience with these other types of blades? Should I go to my John deere dealer to get my blades?

Default Re: 62d mower blade selection?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale1995 View Post
    I have a 2008 62d drive over mower deck mounted onto my 2320. I am looking to get a spare set of blades so that I can change them out quickly and resharpen the spare set whenever I have some spare time. I am wondering what everyone out there is using for blades? From what I understand my deck came with a "standard lift" blade. I believe there is also a high lift blade, and a "gator" blade for this mower. My deck seems to cut pretty well now, but will these other blades do a better job? I have areas of my lawn that tend to grow faster than others and whenever I mow these areas I seem to get a windrow effect. Before I splurge and buy a new set of blades what has been your experience with these other types of blades? Should I go to my John deere dealer to get my blades?
    I just recently bought a set of the Gators from Bailey's for my 54c. They are a little cheaper than the originals and available individually, which is a bonus if you only bend one at a time like me.
    JD 2305 w/ HDAPs, folding ROPS, 54" MMM (w/ ind. lift), 47" front blower, RB, etc. etc.

Husqvarna 365SP
    Echo CS400
    Stihl 031

Tractor
    John Deere 2320

how do you like them? Do you see any advantages to using the gator blades?

I just replaced the factory blades on my 62D with the Gator mulcher blades and all I can say is oh what a huge difference in how little to no clumping when cutting grass that is 6" or so high. If I do get any that clumps,I just cut it again and it just disappears. Doing that with regular blades it just keeps blowing the same grass out of the chute. Mulcher blades are just that. They just eat that grass up
    I think I paid around 45.00 for all three. There is a system that is supposed to be alot better. Ever here of the MEG-MO System? One thing though,they are pretty darn expensive,like 280.00 for the 62D deck.
    Hope this helps a little

Meg-Mo Systems - lawn mower Blades, Replacement Mower Blades, Sharpen Lawn Mower Blades, Mulch Grass

Greg
    2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade
    A "REAL" snow blade --- JD 380A
    90% Restored 1987 JD 316

MY BALLAST BOX:
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...box-build.html
    MY SE SEAT 2520 MOD:
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/j...my-2520-a.html

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2320

Quote Originally Posted by Dale1995 View Post
    how do you like them? Do you see any advantages to using the gator blades?
    I also switched my 62d over to gator blades and love them.. the gator blades produce much MUCH smaller clippings as you mow..

I ended up buying a second set and have sideline my OEM blades for now

Brian
    Bedford, VA
    2320 w/ 62D MMM, 200CX FEL, Pats EZ Change, LX4 Cutter
    Co-owner (with my father) of John Deere 790, 30 HP, 4x4, 513 cutter, 70 FEL
    2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x

Tractor
    JD 1025R, Curtis cab

I have a 62C deck on a 2305, and have been using gator blades for three or four years.

I don't bag or rake when I mow, and the clippings that discharge are much smaller with the gators. Quality of cut is equal to or better than the original blades.

Just my opinion.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

For me, I've been getting mixed results over the last 15 years with the standard blades, the hi lift blades, the mulcher blades and the Gator blades. There are positive things to say about each, and frustrating things as well.

With any of them, I never have gotten clumping where balls of grass pile up (like some I see from other lawns). With the Gator blades, I've found they are much stronger (stiffer) and bend less than the OEM blades. But I haven't found that they mow better than the OEM.

I have three mowers now all with 54" deere decks (425, 455, X485), and one has hi lift, one has Gator, and one has mulching blades. A couple weeks ago, my son and son-in-law were here, and we mowed about 6 acres following each other around. It was fun, and I didn't expect the lawn to look very even when we were finished. But to my surprise, there was essentially no difference noticable between the three mowers.

So lots of luck picking a blade.

Tractor
    John Deere 2320

Ive had various sizes of JD lawn tractors and CUTS over the past 35 years. For most of that time i ran OEM blades. I dont use dull blades, so i kept a sharp set, replacing the duller set multiple times per season. I have always worked "off the farm" and depending on the weather would get the time to cut the grass long past when it should have been cut. The result was always windrows of grass as i passed back and forth. I hated the look even after going over and over them.
    That all changed this spring. I bought a set of Gator blades.
    Same scenario, the grass is way too long, just different blades. The difference is beyond description! This past June, i recorded almost 13" of rain. For weeks parts of the yard had water standing and couldnt be mowed. When those parts dried out enough to get the 2320 in the grass was 8" high. It was slow going, but the Gators chewed it up, spread it out and there were NO windrows or clumps! I was elated at the results! They are So, So much more efficient than the OEM's. They are thicker and hold a sharp edge longer. I cant say enough about how great they are.
    I wouldnt know about the bending issue. Ive never bent a blade in my life.
    Mine were $69 if i remember right. Get a set now. A very wise investment in MHO.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 4310 eHydro, JD 322

Get two sets of Gator blades and sell the originals for scrap!!

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    2009 John Deere 2305

Hi all:

Does the mulching kit matter?

I did not read all of your posts extremely close, but I understood all of you were simply changing the blades. Without the plug kit I think clippings would discharge too soon.

I am content with the OEM blades and mulching kit, but it sounds like I could do even better.

-Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast