Need Advice John Deere X3 or X5 series

/ Need Advice John Deere X3 or X5 series #1  

gwrentch03

Tractor
Cub Cadet SLT 1554
Hi. Currently I have a 2006 Cub Cadet SLT 1554 with 54" deck. I have had this tractor for 4 years and have not had it a full season without it being worked on in the shop. Issues I have had in the time I have owned it have been engine went bad and needed replaced. Stearing problem where it would not stear. Transmission problem where it would run well for 15 minutes and then totally stop moving forward even though the pedal was pushed down. And as of this week there is another problem with the transmission where Cub thinks its a valve in the hydrostatic transmission or just plain needs the transmission replaced since it will no longer go forward without it jumping and then it will coast and catch itself again. But it will go backward with no problem. I have really had enough of it do not want to put anymore money into this lemon. I have 3 acres of land to mow. I have 1 acre that is treated and mostly grass and the other 2 acres are just field weeds, grass etc. I need something that will be able to handle this. Was looking now at John Deere and have seen very good reviews. I am thinking of getting the JD X540 which looks like it will do the job. My question is should I look at the X3 series or go with the X540 ? I really just want something that will do the job and won't give me trouble. I know the X540 has a 4 year warrenty or 500 hrs. I was also looking at the 54" deck. But I noticed that the Cub had a hard time mowing my field and would spit and sputter and I am always trying to uclog the deck which is a pain no matter how dry it is when mowing. Sorry to write a book and complain. I just am so frustrated. I thought I was buying a good brand when I bought a Cub. Any advise anyone could provide would be appreciated. The JD dealer says the X5 series will last longer then the X3. Thanks..

/ Need Advice John Deere X3 or X5 series #2  
:welcome:
My advice (which I have taken myself recently) would be to get into the 400 series (425, 445, 455) built from about 1995 - 2002 with a 54" deck. I prefer the AWS (all wheel steer) and really like the performance of the whole system..engine, tractor, mower.

They are in the neighborhood of $4000 with 400-600 hours. You will end up with a great rig for mowing. Get you away from the lawn systems that are built and priced low to capture that end of the market. The X3 is cheaper than the X5, so the dealer is right. But it is just relative.

I just bought a 455 AWS 54" deck and spent over $5k. But I know it is a great tractor that should last a long time. About $10k new.

/ Need Advice John Deere X3 or X5 series #3  
Can't comment on the X540 but I had an X300 for our 1 acre yard and it was great. Never a hiccup. Had a Troy Bilt before that had multiple problems on our uneven yard. Mowed our 7 acre property one time with the X300 and it went through shin high grass with ease. With 3 acres I would at minimum have a 48" deck and like you say 54 would be preferred. Only thing I would at least look at is the X500 is going to get close to costing 6K. For that money I'd at least take a look at the 2305 subcut tractor. Kubota and Massey also make good models of these small tractors and you have much more options as well.

Our pastor has a cub and it has been in the shop yearly.

/ Need Advice John Deere X3 or X5 series #4  
1*54 would be preferred. Only thing I would at least look at is the X500 is going to get close to costing 6K.
2* For that money I'd at least take a look at the 2305 subcut tractor.
3* Kubota and Massey also make good models of these small tractors and you have much more options as well.
4*Our pastor has a cub and it has been in the shop yearly.
5*I just am so frustrated. I thought I was buying a good brand when I bought a Cub.
6* Any advise anyone could provide would be appreciated..

1*I vote for at lease a 54 '' mower or a 60 '' mower on a S_Cut.
2*-3* A very very good suggestion .
4*It is probably a low end unit from a BBS
You have to get away from a Big Box Store and buy a 2000 or 3000 thousand series to get into the good quality stuff .
I have a CC GT2550 that's a tank compared to those in the Big Box Stores.
5*That is completely dependant on where you buy and the series you get.
6*I beleive you have been given some good advice.

/ Need Advice John Deere X3 or X5 series
Thanks for everyones response. I decided to go with a John Deere X530 with a 54" deck. Will be delivered friday. For what I will use it for I figured the air cooled engine would do fine enough for me and lower price compaired to the X540 liquid cooled. Hope I made a good decision. I guess time will tell. Thanks again for all the advice. :)

/ Need Advice John Deere X3 or X5 series #6  
Congratulations! I think you made a fine choice. I haven't heard any complaints with the air cooled engine in the X534, and it should work fine for you. That would be my choice out of the X5xx line too.

/ Need Advice John Deere X3 or X5 series #7  
Congrats! :D Welcome to the Deere family!

I have a 300X series tractor and would NOT recommend it for 3 acres with 2 of those being rough, heavy weeds.

So, I think you made the right choice.

Best of luck with your new machine.

AKfish

/ Need Advice John Deere X3 or X5 series
Thanks ChuckinNH and AKfish. I test drove both the X3 and X5 series today and thought they both ran and drove nice. Glad to be part of the Deere family. :) Can't wait for the X530 to come on Friday. Even with lack of rain my 2 acres of weeds seem to be thriving and need cut.. :)