The JD Cut Wheel Spacer Answer Thread

/ The JD Cut Wheel Spacer Answer Thread #11  
Just to make sure. I have a JD 3720 cab and was looking at the unverferth 6 inch spacers. They don't offer the 4" like they once did. I have the smaller R4 tires so will these spacers work better (4") than the 6" unverferth spacers? I want to get the machine a little more stable.

thanks

I just went through the same thing as you. I also have a JD 3720 cab with the same tires. I got the 6" ones but when I put them on I flipped the rear tires to the narrow spacing so really it is the same as 5" spacers. Which keeps my rear tires about 1" narrower than my 6' bucket. I flipped my front tires too. Some modifying is needed if you have front fenders. For now I just took my front fenders off.

/ The JD Cut Wheel Spacer Answer Thread #12  
I don't have any front fenders, but the rear tires are filled with fliud. They filled them because of the FEL when I purchased it. That would be expensive to have them changed to the 5" overall length. How much did the spacers cost. I was quoted $281 each or $499 each for the 4" ones. I love the tractor, 6 hours, but the more I read the more I see the need to be very carefull. I have a 5 foot disc that should add some stability when pulling it, I think???

/ The JD Cut Wheel Spacer Answer Thread #13  
tc33da,

all you have to do to switch to the 5" spacing is to switch tires side to side, no demounting the tire from rim, its a east solution with a couple guys.

/ The JD Cut Wheel Spacer Answer Thread #14  
tc33da,

all you have to do to switch to the 5" spacing is to switch tires side to side, no demounting the tire from rim, its a easy solution with a couple guys.

Emphasis on a "couple guys"! Those filled tires are heavy!
Just jack the tractor (under the drawbar bracket is a good spot) just enough the clear the floor, no higher.

/ The JD Cut Wheel Spacer Answer Thread #15  
Dutch445: Great discovery! I have a couple questions:

Does the centering feature work with the tractor hub and the rim? The centering feature is a raised small circle (maybe around 6" diameter), on the face of the tractor hub, which is to fit closely into the inside diameter of the wheel rim. This is a safety feature to make sure the wheel mounts concentrically and stays that way until the studs fall out. So, does the Grouser extension have a recess that accepts (closely) the tractor hub centering feature? And, does the Grouser extension then provide that same centering feature on the outside surface, to mate with the wheel?

Any chance you took some pictures for us?

THANKS!!!!!

I am looking at the following on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Skid-Steer-Whee...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4a9de39be2

assuming these are equivalent to the Grouser 8x8" units.

Last edited:
   / The JD Cut Wheel Spacer Answer Thread #16  
Dutch445: Great discovery! I have a couple questions:

Does the centering feature work with the tractor hub and the rim? The centering feature is a raised small circle (maybe around 6" diameter), on the face of the tractor hub, which is to fit closely into the inside diameter of the wheel rim. This is a safety feature to make sure the wheel mounts concentrically and stays that way until the studs fall out. So, does the Grouser extension have a recess that accepts (closely) the tractor hub centering feature? And, does the Grouser extension then provide that same centering feature on the outside surface, to mate with the wheel?

Any chance you took some pictures for us?

THANKS!!!!!

I am looking at the following on ebay:
Skid Steer Wheel Spacers 8 Lug Red 9/16" Skidsteer - eBay (item 320476519394 end time Aug-15-10 21:52:22 PDT)

assuming these are equivalent to the Grouser 8x8" units.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Some pictures would be great to see. I just started looking into extensions for both my 2007 JD 3720 and my 2010 JD 4320...... more so for the 4320 since it is used more for the steeper hills. I was told by the Unverferth sales guy that the wheel extensions for the 3X20 and 4X20 tractors are identical/interchangeable.

BTW, the spacers on ebay were $300 with free shipping a few mos ago. They are now $325 for a set of four.

/ The JD Cut Wheel Spacer Answer Thread
I have to apologize, I wasn't right there when
they put the spacers on.
:cool:

/ The JD Cut Wheel Spacer Answer Thread #18  
Wheel spacers reduce the load capability of tractors, it's less with them.

Rob

/ The JD Cut Wheel Spacer Answer Thread #19  
Dutch445: Any comment on the centering feature question? Can you please at least look through the rim and inspect the centering feature that the extension has, and tell us how closely it appears to fit inside the ID hole of the tractor rim? A close up picture of that area would answer all my remaining questions. Thanks.

/ The JD Cut Wheel Spacer Answer Thread #20  
Did more research. Found that the ebay item I mentioned in an earlier post has a 6 inch centering feature. That, plus the 8 bolts on 8 inch pattern, and 9/16" studs (very close to 14mm), will allow them to work nicely on my JD 3720. So I ordered a set just now. Should be able to report back here in about 10 days with photos and measurements, and results of the fit-up. So far it looks like I MAY have to get some replacement lugnuts to provide the acorn shape feature to work with my JD rims. Not a problem, they are available.

Will be nice to have a bit of width added, especially when mowing on one particular hillside just uphill from a four-wire barb wire fence with T posts. Not sure if I am going to use 2,3, or 4 inches extension per side. "Leaning" toward using all four inches per side.

Last edited: