Need Help JD 2210 won't start

/ Need Help JD 2210 won't start #1  

Dirtysailor

Tractor
JD 2210
My 2210 with 600 Hrs shut off yesterday and will not start. I had been running it various time through out the day with no issue and now there seems to be an issue with something not letting it try and start.

I got it to start at about 930 PM and went and dumped a final load with the FEL. I put it in Neutral and set the brake a stepped off and it quit and now will not start. I checked the seat cut out for a broken wire and have not found one. I actuated all the PTO levers, the MMM engagement and shifted it into and back out of L and H and back to neutral and still nothing. Anyone have any ideas? I messed with it until about 1030 and called it a night. It is not a bad battery as when it started earlier it fired right up. Checked the FO, engine oil and Hydraulic oil all ok.

/ Need Help JD 2210 won't start #2  
The tractor should have stayed running in neutral with the brakes set. Keep looking at the seat switch and the connector to the tractor. Also put a volt meter on the battery and have someone try to start it. I had a battery go bad in my S10 while I got my teeth cleaned. It was fine on the drive over and would not start when I came out. If that checks out ok check the fuse box. I am not sure where yours is but on my 4310 the radiator fan blows lots of dirt into the backside. Hope this helped until someone else will chime in.

/ Need Help JD 2210 won't start #3  
A 2210 with 600hrs and not the battery??? Do you hear any click when you turn the key? Do any dash lights light? Try to jump it. There are many threads on this forum telling stories of "sudden" battery failures.

/ Need Help JD 2210 won't start
I was able to run both the lights on the tractor and the extra ones I have installed with no issue/ or dimness.

/ Need Help JD 2210 won't start #5  
Does the engine turn over but fails to start or the engine does not even turn over?

Well to answer the question first. The engine never turned over. The starter never moved.

Update got home last night and checked the battery voltage and conitnuity of the seat switch and wiring all was ok. Tried to start it and it fired right up. So I am not sure but I hope it is not a gremlin I have to chase around.

/ Need Help JD 2210 won't start #7  
It's the battery, you've got a bad cell in it. The voltage will read fine, it'll power the lights and whatnot, but doesn't have enough juice to crank the engine or even turn the starter. That's how they die anymore... It probably builds up enough power to crank the engine after sitting awhile, but it's a good thing that Yanmar starts on the 3rd turn! This just happened with my 2305 two weeks ago...

As for the cutting out when you left the seat, it may have happened because the interlock circuit wasn't getting any power from the battery. I don't know how the machine is wired - whether the alternator will provide power everywhere or just to the battery. But if you don't see any problems with the seat switch or it's wires, think battery.

I am in agreement that the battery must be the issue, but does anyone know a conclusive test to determine that? I want to put my mind at ease that I found and solved the problem.

/ Need Help JD 2210 won't start #9  
The only thing to do is take the battery into a shop and have it tested. Those machines can tell you which cell is the offending one (if any). And you can purchase a replacement if it tests bad!

/ Need Help JD 2210 won't start #10  
A simple load test will tell the condition of the battery. You can either pull the battery and take it to a parts house to test or just buy a load tester yourself. They're fairly cheap.

20 bucks at Harborfreight, one of the few good deals at HF.

image_2279.jpg

Personally, I don't think it's your battery,,,,,yet.
When it died when you got out of the seat tells me you either had it in gear (which you said you didn't) or your 'neutral switch' is fighting with ya.