John Deere Radio not keeping time.

/ John Deere Radio not keeping time. #1  

Goalie

Tractor
John Deere 5210
My 5210 radio is not keeping time. When running it works fine but when the tractor is shut off and sits for a few days the time is not correct. It use to work fine. Any ideas on what is wrong? :confused:

/ John Deere Radio not keeping time. #2  
Hi Goalie:

I have never sat in a 5210, but is it possilbe the radio has a separate battery which needs to be replaced? It seems logical it would have a battery for the clock and to help it remember station presets.

Although if your radio looks like this:

OMRE71736 C0: 5210, 5310, 5410 and 5510 Tractors, Block File: LV_5010OS_I_19_04SEP97.htm

It appears to be a standard car radio albeit back when they had a different shape. I seem to remember those radios keeping time from the car's battery. If you ever disconnected the car's battery the radio would lose time.

-Bill

/ John Deere Radio not keeping time. #3  
Has it always done that?

If so, it sounds to me like its not wired correctly. But if its a factory radio, there shouldnt have been any reason to do any "homebrew" wiring. Most radios have a Switched power and a Constant power lead....some people just twist the two together and run with it. Doesnt damage anything, but it wont keep time or your radio station presets.

/ John Deere Radio not keeping time. #4  
Thats why them kiotis are up and comers,we don't have no stinking kioti clocks to worry about.:D......[do we?]

/ John Deere Radio not keeping time. #5  
I'm not familiar with the JD radio you refer to, but being an elec. tech most likely there is an on-board battery mounted onto the pcb (printed circuit board) inside the radio that provides DC voltage to keep the clock chip running when the tractor is shutoff. Most of the time they have a charge circuit but sometimes the battery just goes bad (like your car/truck battery goes bad every 5 years). This is really no different than a clock built in to the radio in your ford/chevy/gm/whatever. Sometimes these batteries are easily replaced (snap in/out), sometimes they are soldered in. Only your JD dealer knows for sure. If digital time is really that important, I suggest you go buy a cheapy stick on digital clock and stick it on the dash, or wherever suits you best. To pull the radio out and replace the battery could cost more than you would be willing to pay, unless it's under warranty.

/ John Deere Radio not keeping time. #6  
I'm not familiar with the JD radio you refer to, but being an elec. tech most likely there is an on-board battery mounted onto the pcb (printed circuit board) inside the radio that provides DC voltage to keep the clock chip running when the tractor is shutoff. Most of the time they have a charge circuit but sometimes the battery just goes bad (like your car/truck battery goes bad every 5 years). This is really no different than a clock built in to the radio in your ford/chevy/gm/whatever. Sometimes these batteries are easily replaced (snap in/out), sometimes they are soldered in. Only your JD dealer knows for sure. If digital time is really that important, I suggest you go buy a cheapy stick on digital clock and stick it on the dash, or wherever suits you best. To pull the radio out and replace the battery could cost more than you would be willing to pay, unless it's under warranty.

There's not likely to be a battery in his radio. It is highly likely that the radio isn't wired properly. The switched power and battery leads are reversed. Often these two wires need to be installed in the multiple connectors in a way that matches a particular tractor brand and/or model. Radios are usually a dealer installed option due to the several types available. And the schmoe that installs radios in the predelivery building has the least experience and lowest pay grade in the store.

/ John Deere Radio not keeping time. #7  
Rick, you could be right. There is usually a separate wire that goes from the radio to a source that is 12VDC (hot) all the time so the clock chip always has it. If it's wired wrong, then yeah, that would do it too.

/ John Deere Radio not keeping time.
It worked for the two years that I have owned the tractor and now it quit so it is not a wiring problem as I never touched the wiring harness or radio. Any other ideas?

Last edited:
   / John Deere Radio not keeping time. #9  
Ditto kebo-- sounds like a trip/call to the dealer would be a good idea.

Failing that, you could do what I do to my bikes- buy a $10 digital watch, remove the band, and stick it somewhere with some of that gummy blue stick-a-pic-on-the-wall stuff!:laughing:

But, really, your radio ought to be able to work properly. Call the dealer.

Attachments

• 360 clock.JPG
    360 clock.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 142
   / John Deere Radio not keeping time. #10  
Hmm, perhaps if you had the "heel / toe" hydro, it would keep better time? Sorry, couldn't resist.