Diesel vrs #2 Heating oil

/ Diesel vrs #2 Heating oil #1  

jcalla

Silver Member
Tractor
4720, 455
Am I ok running #2 heating oil in my new 4720? I've been doing it for years in my International Lowboy I2400D with no trouble. I would like to continue with my new tractor if it makes sense.

JPC

/ Diesel vrs #2 Heating oil #2  
Am I ok running #2 heating oil in my new 4720? I've been doing it for years in my International Lowboy I2400D with no trouble. I would like to continue with my new tractor if it makes sense.

JPC

Most likely your #2 HO is the same as #2 off road and #2 road diesel.

/ Diesel vrs #2 Heating oil #3  
Is this the same as kerosene?

/ Diesel vrs #2 Heating oil #4  
It prefers the ulra low sulphur diesel. i can't recall if it has emission control on it. I think it does. That would be damaged by #2

/ Diesel vrs #2 Heating oil #6  
you will be fine running #2. its a high sulfer diesel. i run it in everything diesel i own. including both of my cummins trucks. they dont like the low sulfer

/ Diesel vrs #2 Heating oil #7  
1*Am I ok running #2 heating oil in my new 4720? I've been doing it for years in my International Lowboy I2400D with no trouble. I would like to continue with my new tractor if it makes sense.JPC
1*ULSD is all they are making now days.
There's no longer a distinction between Home heating oil / diesel / on road diesel / or off road diesel .
2*Is this the same as kerosene?
2*No it is not.
3*Most likely your #2
HO is the same as #2 off road and #2 road diesel.
3* off road is dyed red on road isn't.
4*It prefers the ulra low sulphur diesel. i can't recall if it has emission control on it. I think it does. That would be damaged by #2
4*There is no difference between 1 % 2.
It's all ULSD now?
No
USLD can be #2 as well, or vice versa.
5*you will be fine running #2. its a high sulfer diesel. i run it in everything diesel i own. including both of my cummins trucks.
6*they dont like the low sulfer
5*Not any more.
6* That's bad because it's not made any more.

/ Diesel vrs #2 Heating oil #8  
During the summer months, I burn LOW sulfur diesel (>500 ppm sulfur) in my tractor (2008 JD110 TLB) and vehicles. My Dmax and Ford PowerStroke are 2003 and 2001 models; so, the use of ULSD is not required and it is better to use LSD than ULSD to lubricate the injection pumps and injectors. The tractor will also run just fine on LSD (stipulated on fuel tank label).

I believe that LSD still comes in both #1 and #2 viscosities. The LSD is referred to as either Off-road or Home heating oil - depending upon use - the names are interchangeable.

During the winter months, I burn ULSD and use Power Service fuel conditioner to safeguard against pump and injector problems. The ULSD is only available in #1 viscosity. (I don't want any #2 fuel in my equipment after 10F; 20 degrees is probably a safer threshold to avoid jelling.)

However, if I had a new, 2010 model tractor -- I would refer to my owner's manual to be very clear about what fuel types to use.

AKfish

/ Diesel vrs #2 Heating oil #9  
From Wikipedia:

"United States

As of September 2007, most on-highway diesel fuel sold at retail locations in the United States is ULSD.

Ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel was proposed by EPA as a new standard for the sulfur content in on-road diesel fuel sold in the United States since October 15, 2006, except for rural Alaska. California has required it since September 1, 2006, and rural Alaska will transition all diesel to ULSD in 2010.

This new regulation applies to all diesel fuel, diesel fuel additives and distillate fuels blended with diesel for on-road use, such as kerosene, however, it does not yet apply to railroad locomotives, marine, or off road uses. By December 1, 2010, all highway diesel fuel will be ULSD.

Non-road diesel fuel was required to move to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and further to ULSD in 2010. Railroad locomotive and marine diesel fuel also moved to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and will change to ULSD in 2012.

There are exemptions for small refiners of nonroad, locomotive and marine diesel fuel that allow for 500 ppm diesel to remain in the system until 2014. After December 1, 2014 all highway, nonroad, locomotive and marine diesel fuel produced and imported will be ULSD."

/ Diesel vrs #2 Heating oil #10  
Op was asking about heating oil. The EPA can't regulate that. Yet