Starting problem

/ Starting problem #1  

organ grinder

Bronze Member
As usual, I know enough to be dangerous. Went out to mow this evening on my 2210. When I turned on the key, I heard a click, but the engine did not turn over. Turned the key off and tried again. Nothing, not even a click. Removed the front of the tractor. Found the positive battery terminal badly corroded. Cleaned it as well as the negative terminal. Turned the key. Heard a click and then nothing. The tractor is six years old. I am the second owner, and I am guessing this is the original battery.

There is enough juice in the battery to light the lights, but as soon as I turn on the key to start, they dim, as do the lights showing icons for starting.

From all of you with lots of JD and other tractor experience, is the battery likely the problem? How do I tell if it is something else, e.g., starter, fuse, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help.

/ Starting problem #2  
As usual, I know enough to be dangerous. Went out to mow this evening on my 2210. When I turned on the key, I heard a click, but the engine did not turn over. Turned the key off and tried again. Nothing, not even a click. Removed the front of the tractor. Found the positive battery terminal badly corroded. Cleaned it as well as the negative terminal. Turned the key. Heard a click and then nothing. The tractor is six years old. I am the second owner, and I am guessing this is the original battery.

There is enough juice in the battery to light the lights, but as soon as I turn on the key to start, they dim, as do the lights showing icons for starting.

From all of you with lots of JD and other tractor experience, is the battery likely the problem? How do I tell if it is something else, e.g., starter, fuse, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help.

It maybe the battery and it maybe a bad connection at the battery or the cable itself is corroded. Process of elimination. Isolate the battery and charge it and then check it. Check all your connections at the battery. I have seen many cables corroded at the battery terminal connection to cause problems.

/ Starting problem #4  
Try jump stating it with a vehicle.

/ Starting problem #5  
Yup, its time for a new battery. Down here in Florida batteries only last 3 to 5 years. Just changed out my 5+ year old battery on my JD 5320. The battery guys were amazed it lasted that long. Guess I got lucky.

/ Starting problem #6  
Invest in a new battery. The JD batteries are quite well known for the exact problem you describe. Just do a search for the term "battery" here in the JD forum.

/ Starting problem #7  
I just went through this with a 7+ year old battery in my VW Cabrio. It started to crank and then quit. Lights would come on, etc. Voltage was 12.5. I put trickle charger on for a while and later tried starting it. Starter motor wouldn't come on. Figured maybe it was the started. Called a towing service. They asked whether I minded if they tried jumping it. Started fine. Cost me $40 for him to jump it. Felt like an idiot. Jump started it next day with a utility battery and took it to a battery place and had them install it (I like their batteries and the fact that they have a small backup battery to keep from having to reset the radio).

Five to seven years is generally about it for most batteries. Original in the Cabrio went at 5 years. Think battery in the tractor was 5-6 years old when it went.

Ralph

/ Starting problem #8  
My 2305 battery just died 3 weeks ago at 3 years old. Started up fine one minute, didn't even try the next...

/ Starting problem
The problem was indeed the battery. Apparently, it was the original since it was dated July 04. It was weak in terms of CCA and volts. Too, the acid had eaten up one of the holding brackets and half of the positive clamp. Replaced the battery and both of the holding brackets. Will replace the clamp this weekend. Memo to self: Keep a closer eye on the battery and its components.

Thanks for all who posted replies. I appreciate your insight, your experience and your willingness to be of assistance.