Tractor
    John Deere LA145

Default Repairing Idler Pulley

I have a John Deere LA145. The idler pulley has a lot of wiggle (play). I purchased a new idler pulley and the bolt but I still need the center part of the ball bearing. Does anyone know which part(s) I need to purchase or how this ball bearing center is assembled and fastened to the deck? I cannot seem to find the specific part on the JD Parts website exploded view does not indicate a part number.

Default Re: Repairing Idler Pulley

Hello Carl1438,
    From what you explained,it seems there should be a bushing that goes into the center hole of the idler,and the bolt goes into that.

Greg
    2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade
    A "REAL" snow blade --- JD 380A
    90% Restored 1987 JD 316

MY BALLAST BOX:
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...box-build.html
    MY SE SEAT 2520 MOD:
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/j...my-2520-a.html

Tractor
    John Deere LA145

I have looked on the JD Parts Catalog website and in Catalog 9744, Grid D12, Section 85, Page 6 there is an exploded view corresponding to my mower deck. The idler is #3 on the key but the assembly it mounts to is not indicated as a part. There is another idler (#2 on the key) that points to an assembly with a bushing (#9 on Key) but it appears to be a different assembly. Is this the same bushing I would need?

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

I'd go back to the parts man at the dealer. There may have been a bushing that was lost in the packaging.
    Another clue might be looking at the old idler that you are replacing.

Or are we talking about a non-Deere idler pulley?

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Carl1438 View Post
    I have looked on the JD Parts Catalog website and in Catalog 9744, Grid D12, Section 85, Page 6 there is an exploded view corresponding to my mower deck. The idler is #3 on the key but the assembly it mounts to is not indicated as a part. There is another idler (#2 on the key) that points to an assembly with a bushing (#9 on Key) but it appears to be a different assembly. Is this the same bushing I would need?
    The assembly that #3 mounts to is welded to the deck. So no separate part #. The #2 idler is mounted to the bracket #10 that is for keeping the belt tight with the spring shown. The #9 bushing is used to fasten the bracket #10 to the deck with bolt #8. That bushing isn't in contact with the idler #2.

The axles for the three idlers (#2 and #3) have the bushings incorporated. If there isn't a tight fit then a measurement to determine if the axle is worn or if the idler has the wrong center diameter would be necessary to find the problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -la145_deck-jpg  

Tractor
    John Deere LA145

In re-examing the entire deck, the bushing fits all 3 idlers but the bushing for one of the #3 idlers that I am trying to replace has broken and I can not figure out how this part is removed from the assembly. Any ideas?

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Sorry, but I don't understand how a bushing is "broken". Could you post a pic?

Almost sounds, to me, like you are talking about the stud (axle to the pulley).

Tractor
    John Deere LA145

Yes, that is correct the stud is broken. How would you go about removing it?

Super Star Member
    Tractor

I suspect they are welded in place to the bracket that is also welded onto the deck.

Cutting torch, or cut it off, drill it out, and replace with a bolt with the bushing of the correct size to slip over the bolt, slip into the idler bearing, and be the right length to allow tightening. For sure won't be a single part that can be ordered.

Can you come up with some measurements what the stud is and what the bushing should be? Diameters and length?