Mowing Repairing Idler Pulley

/ Repairing Idler Pulley #1  

Carl1438

Tractor
John Deere LA145
I have a John Deere LA145. The idler pulley has a lot of wiggle (play). I purchased a new idler pulley and the bolt but I still need the center part of the ball bearing. Does anyone know which part(s) I need to purchase or how this ball bearing center is assembled and fastened to the deck? I cannot seem to find the specific part on the JD Parts website exploded view does not indicate a part number.

/ Repairing Idler Pulley #2  
Hello Carl1438,
From what you explained,it seems there should be a bushing that goes into the center hole of the idler,and the bolt goes into that.

Greg

/ Repairing Idler Pulley
I have looked on the JD Parts Catalog website and in Catalog 9744, Grid D12, Section 85, Page 6 there is an exploded view corresponding to my mower deck. The idler is #3 on the key but the assembly it mounts to is not indicated as a part. There is another idler (#2 on the key) that points to an assembly with a bushing (#9 on Key) but it appears to be a different assembly. Is this the same bushing I would need?

/ Repairing Idler Pulley #4  
I'd go back to the parts man at the dealer. There may have been a bushing that was lost in the packaging.
Another clue might be looking at the old idler that you are replacing.

Or are we talking about a non-Deere idler pulley?

/ Repairing Idler Pulley #5  
I have looked on the JD Parts Catalog website and in Catalog 9744, Grid D12, Section 85, Page 6 there is an exploded view corresponding to my mower deck. The idler is #3 on the key but the assembly it mounts to is not indicated as a part. There is another idler (#2 on the key) that points to an assembly with a bushing (#9 on Key) but it appears to be a different assembly. Is this the same bushing I would need?

The assembly that #3 mounts to is welded to the deck. So no separate part #. The #2 idler is mounted to the bracket #10 that is for keeping the belt tight with the spring shown. The #9 bushing is used to fasten the bracket #10 to the deck with bolt #8. That bushing isn't in contact with the idler #2.

The axles for the three idlers (#2 and #3) have the bushings incorporated. If there isn't a tight fit then a measurement to determine if the axle is worn or if the idler has the wrong center diameter would be necessary to find the problem.

Attachments

• LA145_deck.JPG
    LA145_deck.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,946
   / Repairing Idler Pulley
In re-examing the entire deck, the bushing fits all 3 idlers but the bushing for one of the #3 idlers that I am trying to replace has broken and I can not figure out how this part is removed from the assembly. Any ideas?

/ Repairing Idler Pulley #7  
Sorry, but I don't understand how a bushing is "broken". Could you post a pic?

Almost sounds, to me, like you are talking about the stud (axle to the pulley).

/ Repairing Idler Pulley
Yes, that is correct the stud is broken. How would you go about removing it?

/ Repairing Idler Pulley #9  
I suspect they are welded in place to the bracket that is also welded onto the deck.

Cutting torch, or cut it off, drill it out, and replace with a bolt with the bushing of the correct size to slip over the bolt, slip into the idler bearing, and be the right length to allow tightening. For sure won't be a single part that can be ordered.

Can you come up with some measurements what the stud is and what the bushing should be? Diameters and length?