PTO switch on new 5085M, dumping all at once

/ PTO switch on new 5085M, dumping all at once #1  

Marshall R

Tractor
John Deere, 4030, 4230, and 5085M
I got a new JD 5085M in September. The PTO is turned on by a pull type button that is the same button pull switch as all the new lawn mowers when turning on the blades.

I have problems with this and I need to know if there is an adjustment that can be done on this. When I pull the button for the PTO to start, it seems to dump all at once and really bogs the tractor down, or it completely chokes down the tractor if the RPM's are not reved up high enough.

Yesterday at idle speed, I turned on the tedder after attaching it and it sounded like a shotgun went off when it suddenly started as hard as it could. Sounded like it was ready to break the gear teeth off in the gear box of the tedder it started up so hard.

If I dont reve up the RPM's up to about 15 hundred when starting up the Kuhn 700 disc mower, it chokes the tractor off completely. When I have the RPM's up to 14 or 15 and start up the disc mower, it sends out a black cloud out the smoke stack as if you were throwing a jake break on a tractor trailer.

This cant be right. I have called the dealer that I bought the tractor from and they said a JD rep told them the answer was to reve up to 14 hundred RPM's and feather the PTO on. You cant feather a pull button, it is either off, or it is on.

Can anybody help me on this?

Thanks,

Marshall

/ PTO switch on new 5085M, dumping all at once #2  
Call your dealer and tell him to check solution number 83134. It talks about pto modulation problems because of too much loctite on the valve assembly from the factory. Some dealers have been able to clean up the excess loctite but I recommend installing new modulating valve. It is part number SJ297368. The valve body on top of the rear end housing needs to be removed to change the valve. I went round and round with a 5065m this past winter and worked with deere's engineers over the phone to figure this out. WHen working properly, you can run engine to wide open throttle and the pto will engage smoothly, NO JERKING!!!

/ PTO switch on new 5085M, dumping all at once
Thanks JD110

I printed out this page and will take it to the JD mechanics tomorrow and see what they say about this information.

Marshall

/ PTO switch on new 5085M, dumping all at once
JD110,

How long will, or should it take to fix this problem. I dropped the tractor off this evening before the dealer closed. Was told the parts would be in tomorrow. How long should I expect, do you think for the down time?

Thanks,,

Marshall

/ PTO switch on new 5085M, dumping all at once #5  
Marshall, sorry I never saw your response. The repair shouldn't take very long once the problem is identified and parts are in hand. I would say about 3-4 hours labor to remove the valve body and replace the valve, then reinstall the valve body and test operation.