950 Does clutch need adjusted or replaced?

/ 950 Does clutch need adjusted or replaced? #1  

chibbert

Tractor
John Deere 950
I have an older John Deere 950 - the one with the single clutch which operates PTO and drive simultaneously. Lately, I have noticed a delay in getting the tractor to move once I let off the clutch pedal. It basically feels like it is slipping some and then will finally engage. I experience this more when in HIGH than in LOW. If I am on a hill (steep) I have considerably more difficulty getting moving. Is this something that can be adjusted or does it in fact need replaced?

Thanks much for your time.

Chris

/ 950 Does clutch need adjusted or replaced? #2  
Where in the clutch pedal travel does it start to engage? Usually once a clutch shows the symptoms you describe the clutch is shot.

/ 950 Does clutch need adjusted or replaced? #3  
Do you have any "free travel" in the clutch pedal? You should have about an inch of travel when you first push in the clutch that is very easy to push. Then it should get stiffer. If you have no free travel, then you can proably shorten the adjustable link connected to the pedal to improve your clutch operation. Shorten it untill you have an inch of easy pedal movement. You should be able to push this free travel with one finger. If you do have free travel and it still slips, then it's time for a new clutch.