New MX 6 on the ground!

/ New MX 6 on the ground! #1  

bilrus61

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota 4200
Dealer just delivered my MX 6. Not used it yet but I wanted to comment on the paint job. It looks great! It has a undercoat and appears very think. I can see where the green paint should cost more!:thumbsup: I looked at a new Rhino 172 dealer's lot that had blisters all over it and rust everywhere. The paint looked like Mrs. Johnson's 2nd grade class had did it with watercolor paint.

On the downside the gearbox is made in China like all the other cutters,Landpride,Rhino,Bushhog ect, ect,. I had checked over a MX 5 three years ago and one of the things I had liked was that the gearbox was made in Spain BY Deere.

I've read several posts here about the output shaft bending on the MX series of mowers and I wondered if those are the Euro gearboxes or the Chinese gearboxes that are doing that? Maybe Deere went with a heavier duty Chinese gearbox to solve that issue. Since I'll be just cutting weeds I figured the gearbox will be strong enough but still one of the things that tipped the scales to the MX over the Landpride was the Spainish made gearbox.:eek:

I'll get a mowing report as soon as my Kubota L5040 is delivered.....

/ New MX 6 on the ground! #2  
Well just two weeks ago I took delivery of my MX6 and hooked her up to my new 4520...very nice mower. I mowed next to where my wife had used the deluxe push mower where we have a flower island etc located across the road and you can't tell where the push mower left off and the MX6 mowed. Chews right through the tough stuff. This mower is about 5 times better built than my former Landpride which rusted, and vibrated apart:)

All I know is my gearbox has John Deere on it and is about twice as big and hefty compared to the 6' and 7' Frontier model...and John Deere has to back it up.

Also it has been stressed to me that John Deere uses the same quality control specs in all categories in all places of manufacture and indeed the same quality control supervisors travel to all manufacturing sites and do the quality reviews. No slack is shown to any of their manufaturing facilities.

Yes I like American made, hence I run a 4520, but only buying only American soil made is not often possible and not even always advisable.

/ New MX 6 on the ground! #3  
Well just two weeks ago I took delivery of my MX6 and hooked her up to my new 4520...very nice mower. I mowed next to where my wife had used the deluxe push mower where we have a flower island etc located across the road and you can't tell where the push mower left off and the MX6 mowed. Chews right through the tough stuff. This mower is about 5 times better built than my former Landpride which rusted, and vibrated apart:)

All I know is my gearbox has John Deere on it and is about twice as big and hefty compared to the 6' and 7' Frontier model...and John Deere has to back it up.

Also it has been stressed to me that John Deere uses the same quality control specs in all categories in all places of manufacture and indeed the same quality control supervisors travel to all manufacturing sites and do the quality reviews. No slack is shown to any of their manufaturing facilities.

Yes I like American made, hence I run a 4520, but only buying only American soil made is not often possible and not even always advisable.

Have you checked this thread? Ken Sweet
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/179056-bent-output-shaft-mx5-cutter.html

/ New MX 6 on the ground! #4  
Yes Ken I read that that thread. Good points made. But if you smack a rock as big as Kansas something is going to give. Thought the cost of replacing that part shouldn't be so rediculous.

In other words I am sure if that shaft was made in New Jersey it would have never bent:)

/ New MX 6 on the ground! #5  

Ken,
I really think you jumped in this thread to flame the Deere stuff and try to push your stuff in a feeble marketing attempt. The other thread has you telling people what you sell and at what cost.

I am all for you advertising here, but not at the cost of peoples excitement on their new purchase. This guy just bought an MX6 and you are here posting about a bent output shaft and the thread you link just happens to tell the brand you sell and a percentage of cost of the deere... Come on...

I have had an MX5 for 5 years. That thing was beat on the bottom from crap people threw on our ditch banks. I have backed over many large rocks not knowing a laborer threw it there and nothing, no issues. I watched my cutter bounce on a metal mail box post and I thought it was going to tip the tractor over before it stopped.... Nothing but dents on the bottom.

I now bought an MX6 and I can see where they made some changes to the design, and I think it will make it even more durable.

Things happen with any machinery and stuff breaks, no matter the make or model. In the case that you posted, I bet there would be little left of a king cutter, and in fact there could have been flying parts, simply due to the lack of quality metal used on the build. Yes Deere is expensive, but in 99 percent of the cases, they have and use high quality parts.

/ New MX 6 on the ground! #6  
Things happen with any machinery and stuff breaks, no matter the make or model.

I know some guys that could demolish a 3 pt mounted Anvil... :laughing:
REGARDLESS of Brand/Color/Model/Country of Origin... :)

/ New MX 6 on the ground! #7  
Ken,
I really think you jumped in this thread to flame the Deere stuff and try to push your stuff in a feeble marketing attempt. The other thread has you telling people what you sell and at what cost.

I am all for you advertising here, but not at the cost of peoples excitement on their new purchase. This guy just bought an MX6 and you are here posting about a bent output shaft and the thread you link just happens to tell the brand you sell and a percentage of cost of the deere... Come on...

I have had an MX5 for 5 years. That thing was beat on the bottom from crap people threw on our ditch banks. I have backed over many large rocks not knowing a laborer threw it there and nothing, no issues. I watched my cutter bounce on a metal mail box post and I thought it was going to tip the tractor over before it stopped.... Nothing but dents on the bottom.

I now bought an MX6 and I can see where they made some changes to the design, and I think it will make it even more durable.

Things happen with any machinery and stuff breaks, no matter the make or model. In the case that you posted, I bet there would be little left of a king cutter, and in fact there could have been flying parts, simply due to the lack of quality metal used on the build. Yes Deere is expensive, but in 99 percent of the cases, they have and use high quality parts.

Well. you sure got that assumption wrong. We bought a new MX7 last year and paid $3500 for it for the farm, thinking we were getting a Cadilac machine that could be passed on down to the next generation, Then after reading TBN threads, we look and sure enough our gearbox is made in China also and has a high potential of failure. This burns me up. Everytime we use it now, we feel like we have "baby" it. The final thought on this silly statement, We don't even ship rotary cutters. Ken Sweet

/ New MX 6 on the ground! #8  
The last 4 posts of the link you posted say it all to me.

I do think that a many people read to much on the net and get fearful when they read something they bought broke. Come on, Deere sells way more of these units that we know about and you have read of how many breaking?

One guys tries to cut a huge rock, it flies up and lands wrong, and these cutters are junk. Come on.

I just don't see this as a productive post in a thread where a gentleman bought a new cutter.

/ New MX 6 on the ground! #9  
Quote: Ken,
I really think you jumped in this thread to flame the Deere stuff and try to push your stuff in a feeble marketing attempt. The other thread has you telling people what you sell and at what cost. Quote:

I see this false accusation as out of line as well. Like I said before, we can't even ship a rotary cutter over 48 inches. Why would I be promoting something I can't even sell? Ken Sweet

/ New MX 6 on the ground! #10  
Maybe we are both wrong. I am not going to argue about this on a forum...

You are an advertiser and if you feel that what you did is appropriate, so be it. Its your reputation.:thumbsup: