JD2520 - MMM lift

/ JD2520 - MMM lift #1  

revitupfaster

Silver Member
Tractor
JD X495 & JD2520
I have a new 2520 on order and have asked my dealer a question and he really isn't exactly sure of the answer, but says he will get back to me. Maybe I can get a quicker answer here.

The tractor is going to have the 62D MMM, without the independent lift. Meaning the deck height will be controlled by the rockshaft lever. (Just as an aside, why do they call it a "Rockshaft").

Anyway, I didn't go with the independent lift, because I want to be able to use the FEL (200CX also coming with the tractor) while the mower deck is on the tractor. Is there any way, to "Lock" the mower deck in the upper position, and still have control over the 3 PT lift arms?

I know you can lock out the hydraulics by closing the control valve, which would keep the deck up, but I assume this will also keep the lift arms up.

The reason I ask, is that I plan on using the "Quick Hitch" on the rear arms to mount a reciever hitch with trailer ball on it, to be able to move trailers with the standard ball type coupler.

It would be nice if I could keep the deck up when attaching to trailers.

REV

/ JD2520 - MMM lift #2  
There is (at least used to be 'cause I have it on mine) a deck "lock-up" kit. It is two turnbuckles and some chain to hold the deck up, I use mine to set the cutting height-not to hold it up high.

But the real answer is that once you see how quick and easy it is to remove the MMM, you will just want to remove it if you need to use the loader. It reduces ground clearence and side clearence and you will be watching the loader and not the MMM and if you snag the mower on something you risk damage to it or the mounting hardware.

So my best advice is just take it off...:thumbsup:

/ JD2520 - MMM lift #3  
Yes,
turn the height indicator knob to LOCK. the rockarms won't move.

There is something in the manual that confused me a bit. It stated do not operate the 3pt in the locked position. This makes sense regarding the pressure valve, but since the mmm works off the same 3pt system.... does it also apply?

i am leading toward NO, or else why would there be the lock option on the height control

/ JD2520 - MMM lift #4  
The 'lock' position on the mower height control knob puts the cam in a position to hold the deck up physically - not hydraulically. You can still use the 3pt arms normally, and can adjust the drop rate control knob as needed. I do this with my 2305 all the time. The part in the manual Jester mentioned is probably for the drop rate knob. Closing it restricts the valve opening to slow the hyd movement, and can stop it all together when fully closed - this is where you can damage things with pressure if not careful. But like Kenny said, be careful not to hang up the deck on something that won't move...

/ JD2520 - MMM lift
Is there a height adjustment knob on the 2520? I know there is one on the 2320, but didn't think there was on the 2520.

I thought you controlled the height adjustment on the 2520 using an adjustable "stop" on the rockshaft control.

REV

/ JD2520 - MMM lift #6  
As mentioned, the 'drive over' deck is so easy to remove, I would just take it off when its not needed.. Unhook 3 connections and disconnect the pto and you are ready to take it off.. less than 5 minutes.. and it goes back on just as quick (except when you catn get the pto lined up correctly lol)

I know I left my mmm on one time while doing some other work, and unless the ground is very level the deck can (and will) dig in to the ground..

I also tried to rough cut some very flat ground with the MMM on as well, and the mmm crushed the grass so much I didnt get a good cut with the rotary cutter..

brian

/ JD2520 - MMM lift #7  
i stand corrected, you are right. I hadn't ever read the 2520 manual until today, the pamphlet said they were the same with different engines, guess there's a bit more different.

Thatguy: even after removing the MMM, wouldn't the lowering of the rockshaft still pose a potential ground clearance issue?

/ JD2520 - MMM lift #8  
Revitupfaster, I also have a 2520 and had the same problems you mention in your post. Check out this link and it has the correct number for the "lock up kit" from John Deere. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/129080-latch-up-kit-62d-mmm.html

That said, it is easy to take off the MMM, only problem is that the linkage to support the mower still hangs down and will drag on the ground if you use the TPH in the down position with some attachment like a trailer or boxblade. You can disconnect all the linkage that supports the mower deck, but the lockup kit will prevent the linkage from dragging and allow you full range use of the TPH.

The 2320 has a different support system than the 2520 and it does not require a lockup kit, I think it(2320) has a knob that you just turn to keep the mower deck up independent of the TPH use. Why they did not use this system on the 2520 is a mystery to me, maybe JD had a surplus of lockup kits to sell!

Congrats on the new 2520 tractor, mine is great, hope this info helps. Now that you have info on this subject, just wondering what kind of TPH arms are on your tractor, hopefully the newer style that allow for more clearance around the back tires, search the forum for info on this subject.

Best of luck.................

/ JD2520 - MMM lift #9  
But the real answer is that once you see how quick and easy it is to remove the MMM, you will just want to remove it if you need to use the loader. It reduces ground clearence and side clearence and you will be watching the loader and not the MMM and if you snag the mower on something you risk damage to it or the mounting hardware.

So my best advice is just take it off...:thumbsup:

I too agree with this point. So little is involved in changing it out,why take the chance of damaging it. Once you get the hang of the procedure,it just keeps getting easier....and faster.:thumbsup:

Greg

/ JD2520 - MMM lift
Revitupfaster, I also have a 2520 and had the same problems you mention in your post. Check out this link and it has the correct number for the "lock up kit" from John Deere. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/129080-latch-up-kit-62d-mmm.html

Larry 111.......Thanks a lot for the reply. This kit sounds like it is exactly what I was looking for. My dealer probably has never been asked for such a setup, and didn't know off the top of his head if anything was available. I didn't want to go for the independent mower lift kit because by the time you add the lift cylinder, and the diverter valve, you start running into some pretty good dollars.

I'll be able to give him the part number and help make his job easier.

Thanks again, it eases my mind to know I will be able use the 3pth basically independent from the mower lift......just what I wanted.

REV