What can you tell me about a JD 710

/ What can you tell me about a JD 710 #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
My friend down the street got what seems to be a pretty good deal to me on one. $5k for a tractor with a loader and a brand new post hole digger. About 3800 hours. Starts up really nicely.

I've only ever driven an HST tractor or a simple manual which had one lever - thats it.

Would appreciate any info you can provide me on this tractor - particularly - help me figure out what the gearing is like. There are two gear levers. The one on the right only has 3 positions, 1, 2, 3. However if I leave it in 2 then the tractor does not move so the 2 seems like neutral.

The lever on the left has an umpteen number of positions.

Anyone know how many forward and how many reverse gears they are and how I muck with the levers to get into them?

Any other information on this tractor would be great as well. It looks like an awesome old tractor to me.

/ What can you tell me about a JD 710 #2  
   / What can you tell me about a JD 710 #3  
This is really a Lanz tractor, built in Germany in the '60s. They kept producing them for a couple of years after Deere bought out Lanz.

The 510 and 710 are 2 of the very few JD models where parts are no longer available hence the huge discount to other comparable vintage JD models.

/ What can you tell me about a JD 710 #4  
Hi, the JD 710 brings back a lot of memories
for me as my dad had one of these as well
as the JD 1830.
The 710 was our workhorse. The 1 on the left
with the combination of the right were
used in the heavy clay of Haldimand County. 2 w combination
was used for baling raking, harrowing.
3 w combination we used for traveling on the road.
It is trial and error to see what works best
I think. The downside of this as with most
Diesel they were hard to start in winter.
I've driven this tractor a million times
25 yrs later I'd have to get to re-acquaint
myself with the gears.

QUOTE=canoetrpr;2047641]My friend down the street got what seems to be a pretty good deal to me on one. $5k for a tractor with a loader and a brand new post hole digger. About 3800 hours. Starts up really nicely.

I've only ever driven an HST tractor or a simple manual which had one lever - thats it.

Would appreciate any info you can provide me on this tractor - particularly - help me figure out what the gearing is like. There are two gear levers. The one on the right only has 3 positions, 1, 2, 3. However if I leave it in 2 then the tractor does not move so the 2 seems like neutral.

The lever on the left has an umpteen number of positions.

Anyone know how many forward and how many reverse gears they are and how I muck with the levers to get into them?

Any other information on this tractor would be great as well. It looks like an awesome old tractor to me.[/QUOTE]

/ What can you tell me about a JD 710 #5  
Hi guys,
I have an old John Deere Lanz 710 that needs all the tinwork replacing, has anybody got an idea where I might come across some parts.

Thanks

Don