JD 870 gauges mystery

/ JD 870 gauges mystery #1  

StevenM6080

Tractor
John Deere 870
The fuel and temperature gauges only work after it rains or the tractor is wet. I figure this is a ground issue but don't know where to find the ground for these gauges. Any help is much appreciated. All other gauges / lights are fine.

Thanks, Steve

/ JD 870 gauges mystery #2  
Steve, I just answered your other post;) Please don't double post the same question in multiple places, it makes it very hard to help when info is all spread out over multiple threads.

/ JD 870 gauges mystery #3  
What Kenny wrote...about multiple postings.

As far as the gauges, I agree it's either a bad ground, corroded wire (probably at a terminal end) or corroded ground.
You'll really need a wiring diagram for this, but I suspect those gauges may have a common ground. IIRC, ground wires are normally brown...but head down to your local Deere dealer and beg, borrow or steal a page out of the service manual with a wiring diagram.

/ JD 870 gauges mystery
My apologies for the double post as I am new here and thanks for the advice.

Steve

/ JD 870 gauges mystery #5  
I have not found anything in the 870 tech manual so far that shows the physical location of wires. The schematic only shows all ground wires are black and they connect together.

Attachments

• 870 schematic.jpg
    870 schematic.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 1,493
   / JD 870 gauges mystery
Thanks for the schematic. I guess I need to dig around to see where the ground connects to the chassis?

Steve

/ JD 870 gauges mystery #7  
I have not found anything in the 870 tech manual so far that shows the physical location of wires. The schematic only shows all ground wires are black and they connect together.

Guess I didn't recall correctly!

At least with a schematic, you can follow the color coding and have an idea how the wiring is routed.
Good luck on finding the problem!

/ JD 870 gauges mystery
Well I cleaned out the battery compartment and cables. The fuel gauge is working but the temp qauge isn't. The jumper on the negative to the chassis doesn't do anything. I am baffled?????

Steve