955/855 MFWD driveshaft yokes

/ 955/855 MFWD driveshaft yokes #1  

Mechanos

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 955/70A/7 TLB
Does anyone know of a source for the MFWD driveshaft yokes other than Deere. Mine is missing and I'm having a devil of a time locating a used driveshaft. Deere wants $440 for a new complete driveshaft. I figured I'd just build my own so I checked on just the splined yokes that fit the transaxle output and front axle input shafts... Deere wants about $35/each for the yokes and that doesn't include the u-joint or the other half of the yoke that's welded to the driveshaft tube (which is not available individually). So, I'm trying to find another source for these.

/ 955/855 MFWD driveshaft yokes #2  
Might work for you to get a local shop that deals with drive shafts involved to try to beat the price.

Is this the part(s) you are working on? And curious, why yours is "missing" ??

Attachments

• 955_drive_shaft.JPG
    955_drive_shaft.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,454
   / 955/855 MFWD driveshaft yokes
Yes, that's the assembly. It's missing because it isn't there!

I bought the tractor as someone else's unfinished project. The driveshaft was not on the tractor and it wasn't in the pile of parts that came with the tractor..... therefore, it's missing.

/ 955/855 MFWD driveshaft yokes #4  
Well, that explanation helps in that you are not in possesion of the broken parts either.

Might just chalk it up to "missing" and "need to buy". :)

/ 955/855 MFWD driveshaft yokes #5  
With parts #1 and #6 and the length needed, any driveline shop can make the rest. Generally a driveline shop deals mostly in big rigs but they work on everything.

/ 955/855 MFWD driveshaft yokes #6  
Below ad was posted under "Private Party Ads" on this site in April 2010. Hope it helps. Paul

"I am parting out 855 with 70A loader. Motor good, transmission good, hydro good, loader good, hood and grill is missing, 4 wheel drive does not work but other than that great parts. 865-454-3399"

Well, I may have found a "work-around" to paying Deere 3x what it should cost for a driveshaft. I haven't been able to source any end yokes available with a 0.75" - 15 spline configuration, so I'd have to get those from Deere. I was able to source a conversion u-joint that fits the Series 0675 yoke that JD uses and a 1000 series yoke on the other half of the joint. Also located some 1000 series weld on yokes. A piece of 0.75 or 1" tubing and I'll be able to build the shaft myself for 1/3 of JD's price for a new one.

/ 955/855 MFWD driveshaft yokes #8  
You should take it to a driveline shop when you're done and have them balance it. That'll save you the most possible money while still providing for a decent ride.

paying Deere 3x what it should cost for a driveshaft
Custom driveshafts are pretty expensive. When I needed one for my off-roader it was approximately the prices you found until I found a startup company wanting to get a foot in the door.

You should take it to a driveline shop when you're done and have them balance it. That'll save you the most possible money while still providing for a decent ride.
I was told by the driveline shop where I sourced the parts that a shaft of this size couldn't be balanaced (at least with their equipment) since the RPM that the shaft needs to spin at to be balanced far exceeds the RPM that u-joints are rated for.
Custom driveshafts are pretty expensive. When I needed one for my off-roader it was approximately the prices you found until I found a startup company wanting to get a foot in the door.
Yes, but this isn't a custom shaft.... it's a stock JD part.

/ 955/855 MFWD driveshaft yokes #10  
The shaft spins at approximately the same speeds as an automotive driveshaft which they can balance, right? I don't get it. I guess if you don't have any vibrations problems you it won't matter, but if you do, I would try another shop.

Yes, but this isn't a custom shaft.... it's a stock JD part.
Think of it this way.... more custom off-road driveshafts are made and sold yearly then are sold for a 855/955 in ten years.