Low-viscosity Hy-Gard alternatives

/ Low-viscosity Hy-Gard alternatives #1  

Mechanos

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 955/70A/7 TLB
As I understand it, low viscosity hy-gard is JDM-20D spec. What other (cheap) brands of hydraulic oil meet this spec. I am about to the point of flushing the hydraulic system after a transmission swap and having the transaxle open on my 955. I don't really want to spend a lot of cash on high dollar hydraulic oil that is only going to be in the tractor for a few minutes. Is there a TSC brand that meets the JD spec?

Searching around this site, I see that TSC sells a UTF that meets JDM-20C, but havent found a reference to JDM-20D.

/ Low-viscosity Hy-Gard alternatives #2  
it wont hurt to use the cheaper(tractor supply etc) oil for some time and switch to j20d which is the low vis oil. the j20c is less than half the price of the j20d. i have not found a cheaper source than deere for the low vis.

/ Low-viscosity Hy-Gard alternatives #3  
it wont hurt to use the cheaper(tractor supply etc) oil for some time and switch to j20d which is the low vis oil. the j20c is less than half the price of the j20d. i have not found a cheaper source than deere for the low vis.

I have been told by a JD mechanic that the reason they like JD hy-guard is because it works better at keeping the moister down in the hydo sys?????

/ Low-viscosity Hy-Gard alternatives
Well, if I follow the recommended flushing procedure (recommended to me by my technical resource... an ex-JD dealer), I will go through 9 gallons of diesel and 13.5 gallons of hydro oil to get a proper flush and fill. Then another drain and fill at 25 hours. No way in **** I'm buying that much Hy-Guard that will only be in the tractor for a few minutes.

I read somewhere on another site that Walmart SuperTech hydraulic oil meets J20D spec. Still need to confirm that.

/ Low-viscosity Hy-Gard alternatives #6  
Where you located?

I've got 7 gallons of Factory Fill Hygard that came out of my 3520 @ 80 hours...I filtered it with a paint strainer and put it in brand new pails.
I kept it because I couldnt just garbage "just like new" oil....

Where you located?

I've got 7 gallons of Factory Fill Hygard that came out of my 3520 @ 80 hours...I filtered it with a paint strainer and put it in brand new pails.

Thanks... but I'm in Missouri. It just wouldn't be practical to try to ship it this far. After doing more research, I see that J20C (as stated above) is perfectly acceptable to use... down to 20 degrees. I'll use the cheap J20C for the first fill as it will be drained and changed out with J20D before it gets cold here.

EDIT: I checked at Walmart and they only had two kinds of SuperTech hydraulic oil. One meets the J20C spec and the other one doesn't list any specs. I bought the J20C spec oil for first fill and flush. After I've run it for a few hours, I'll drain it, change the filter and refill with J20D. Walmart sells Rotella hydraulic oil for $55/5 gal. and it meets J20D

Last edited:
   / Low-viscosity Hy-Gard alternatives #8  
i believe that TSC universal hydraulic oil meets JD20C.

/ Low-viscosity Hy-Gard alternatives #9  
Where you located?

Hi Dave,
I've got a change coming up on the 3320 and I was thinking of doing the same thing. My only concern was whether Deere uses a different mixture and additives for their break in oils.

Rob