Have a JD 870 FEL hydraulic question

/ Have a JD 870 FEL hydraulic question #1  

DennisH

Silver Member
So I have been calling around John Deere and aftermarket dealers seeking information on FEL options for my 1997 870 with "FACTORY" FEL hydraulics and when I say that my hydraulic hookup is on the left hand side of the tractor they say are you sure I have never seen that before. I tell them yes I'm sure because I'm looking at it.

Can someone who owns a 870 with FEL verify that your hydraulic hookup is on the left side of the tractor.

I had a JD dealer do a lot of research today and told me he can install a 300CX FEL on this 870 via brackets that only JD corporate had part numbers for. Having knowledge of the 300CX loader and the fact that the hoses are on the right hand side I ask the question and he got all tongue tided and has to call me back.

The fact that the 300CX w/ adapter brackets is a option for this 870 is a bonus as I would like to stay with a JD loader even though it is about $1K more than aftermarket.

I wonder if it is just a matter of re-routing the hydraulic hoses to exit the left side vice the right side on the 300CX loader?

/ Have a JD 870 FEL hydraulic question #2  
The factory connectors are mounted on a bracket on the left side of the tractor just ahead of the footwell. The stalk is mounted on the right side. The JD parts site will show you the arrangement on the tractor.

This makes it possible to remove the 70 or 80 loader from the tractor without having to get off the seat. Pull the cam levers, raise the loader frame into park position, unhook the lines and back away.

/ Have a JD 870 FEL hydraulic question #3  
What zzvyb6 said.

My 870 has the FEL connectors on the left side of the bell housing below the foot plate.

I have the 440 loader and it is removed the same way - Pull the unlock lever, drop the park frame til the boom sockets are raised higher than the front tires, disconnect the hydraulic lines and back away.

/ Have a JD 870 FEL hydraulic question
Here's the deal, a 300X loader will bolt onto a 870 tractor with a JD provided kit.

Cost $4,300 installed.

A Koyker 155 loader is $3,700 installed.