Whats the chance a 4100 will run this log splitter?

/ Whats the chance a 4100 will run this log splitter? #1  

acs55812

Silver Member
Tractor
4100/410
I will go out and measure and update in awhile, but I got a 3-point log splitter with a cylinder that the ram is close to 3 inches diameter, and I am wondering if the flow rate will be anywhere near enough to run this on a JD 4100. I will stop this week and get some adaptive fitting as the hoses are larger than what the 4100 has.

Just looking to find out if its a pipe dream this will work or will I be able to go get a cup of coffee once I start splitting a log before it moved enough to be done!

/ Whats the chance a 4100 will run this log splitter? #2  
The 4100 wil run a log splitter, but, as you are wondering, it will be slow. The engine will need to be run at near wide open throttle to be acceptable probably. The best I can say is go ahead and hook it up and try it. The fittings shouldn't cost too much if it doesn't work out to your satisfaction.

/ Whats the chance a 4100 will run this log splitter? #3  
The 4100 (like my 4110) has 5.1 GPM available to run implements. You can use this calculator (on the left-select force and speed)to see what the speed and force will be once you determine the cylinder size.

/ Whats the chance a 4100 will run this log splitter? #4  
Thank you for the link, it comes out to 2.8 inches per second, any idea of the PSI of the pump on the 4100?

Should be 2450 PSI.

How are you hooking it up?

/ Whats the chance a 4100 will run this log splitter?
I wasn't sure I figured that right, so I deleted the post,,,,,I gotta figure out the bore diameter----rod diameter is 3.0 inches.

I am thinking of hooking it where the loader controls are at, and wondering about the fluid reservoir capacity too.

I need to investigate log splitters and what is average for pressure to split wood.

I appreciate your help Kenny

/ Whats the chance a 4100 will run this log splitter? #6  
you would be better off with a PTO driven pump.

/ Whats the chance a 4100 will run this log splitter? #7  
I am thinking of hooking it where the loader controls are at, and wondering about the fluid reservoir capacity too.

I ran my splitter this way for a couple months before getting a the correct hook up at the rear of my tractor. I hooked up to the bucket lines and then bungie corded the controls one way. I did notice this created a bunch of heat in the hoses and the fluid, so much so that the hoses were too hot to touch. I don't see a problem with fluid capacity as long as you always bring the cylinder all the way back in (retracted) before unhooking the lines.

/ Whats the chance a 4100 will run this log splitter? #8  
It will be slow. I had a very similar set up on my 2720 with a yanmar 3PH splitter. It goes but you won't win any races. Best to get a pto pump like suggested.

Rob