Thermistor Replacement

/ Thermistor Replacement #1  

jnporcello

Tractor
John Deere 4600
After doing some searching I was directed here to hopefully find the answer to a problem I was afraid didn't have an easy answer. But it appears that the answer is thermistor. I have all the classic symptoms. I've read tons of threads on the thermistor being the culprit in my case, but there hasn't been too much mention of the best ways to replace it.
What I'd like to know is exactly where the thermistor is located and any tips/tricks anybody has used to replace it. I believe its behind the fuse block -- do I have to take the dash apart to get at that, or is it behind the green panel on the front where the key is? Thanks in advance.

/ Thermistor Replacement #2  
It is on the back side of the fuel shut-off relay socket.

Attachments

• Therm1.jpg
    Therm1.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 5,862
  • Therm2.jpg
    Therm2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 3,766
   / Thermistor Replacement #3  
jnporcello
:welcome:
You have been directed to a great place, and hope JD755's reply was of help.
I haven't had to change one out yet, but did learn of where it is from TBN members.

Some additional help may be forthcoming from someone who did change theirs out.

/ Thermistor Replacement #4  
Yeah, it is behind the fuse/relay block, as stated. I have had my
whole wiring harness out, and it is quite tight behind that area, so it
is hard to get behind the block. Those wire bundles are stiff.
I do have a spare of the LVU10323 thermister, but the part is not
expensive.

/ Thermistor Replacement #5  
Makes me wonder if anyone has tried to install the thermistor from the front side of the block?
Bend the wires and insert them into the correct slots before plugging the relay in ? Might have to get behind to clip the old one out.

/ Thermistor Replacement
Wow, great response. I'm on a couple of automotive forums (where I'm a little more knowlegable about my car and can contribute more) and I thought their response was quick -- but its nothing compared to here. By the way, DfKrug, I enjoyed reading your posts about rebuilding your 4300 -- I learned a lot about this machine through your process, but I'm only about 2/3 through it though. Hope all continued well:)

I'll give the thermistor a try sometime this week when I get a minute and let you know how it went. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics of the job too.

I just put the 4300 through a pretty tough period redoing the 2 acre cleared portion of my lot and finally planting grass and haying it last weekend. Now for some maintenance on the poor girl -- she did great. I put 50 hours on it in the last month for a total of 450. That's probably more than I'll put on in the next year. Moved a lot of dirt with the loader and now getting the creep down on the bucket too, but I'm going to change the fluids, filter, and clean the screen before I get too excited and worry about the cylinders.

/ Thermistor Replacement #7  
Makes me wonder if anyone has tried to install the thermistor from the front side of the block?
Bend the wires and insert them into the correct slots before plugging the relay in ? Might have to get behind to clip the old one out.

I suppose if the thermister failed open, you could install a new one in the
front. But if it fails short, then it has to come out, as well as possibly
needing a new fuel cutoff solenoid from overheating it.

Some of the wire bundles holding the fuse bolck in come from the
instrument panel. You might have to relieve some tension by opening
up the dash. That part is not too bad.

/ Thermistor Replacement #8  
I just cut mine out and heat shrinked it back on - See attached pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 7,697
  • IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 4,230
   / Thermistor Replacement #9  
Long0
Great pic. I didn't realize the block would roll out like that. And it appears the thermistor is easy to get at. Now, do you mean you soldered the wires then put the heat shrink over them? Or didn't solder, but depend on the shrink to hold them in contact? I assume the former. :)

Thanks for the pics.

Now for some more clarity....what is the first warning or symptom that the thermistor is going/gone bad? Does it fail first then the fuel cutoff fails, or the other way around?
I'm thinking "no start" could be one, and "shutdown" could be another.

/ Thermistor Replacement
From what mine does and from what my research on this forum shows is that the easiest way to tell is when starting from cold, engine will roll over and over and over and not start. Acts as though it just isn't getting any fuel, or some safety feature is preventing it from starting. Most often when that's the case, its your thermistor. I haven't seen any threads about it causing a shutdown or anything of that nature. Just turning over without starting.
I'm off to the garage to change out and will let you guys know. Thanks Long0 for the pictures, which is always very helpful.