Mowing John Deere 790 with Mid-Mount (Belly) Mower

/ John Deere 790 with Mid-Mount (Belly) Mower #1  

djrich

Tractor
John Deere 790
I have a JD 790 with a Mid-Mount Mower. The manual on the mower indicates checking the gearbox oil by removing the Allen screw on the side of the gearbox and if no oil appears, then add oil via the top of the gearbox (after removing the vent plug). Well, my gearbox has *no* vent plug on top of the gearbox. How am I supposed to add oil to the gearbox?

/ John Deere 790 with Mid-Mount (Belly) Mower #2  
Can you post a picture?

/ John Deere 790 with Mid-Mount (Belly) Mower #3  
Totally smooth top with nothing but 4 bolts holding it down ?

/ John Deere 790 with Mid-Mount (Belly) Mower #4  
If all else fails, contact your dealer.
Sometimes Deere hasn't been good at updating manuals. Or, the manual supplied (especially if you bought used) isn't the correct manual for the belly mower (different supplier, for example).
If you call a dealer, it might help if you can find a serial number on the mower.

/ John Deere 790 with Mid-Mount (Belly) Mower #5  
On my 60" MMM, I just removed the gearbox from the mower deck when I serviced it. It was the easiest way to get the old oil out...and it was only a few bolts holding it on.

/ John Deere 790 with Mid-Mount (Belly) Mower #6  
You can squirt gear oil in the check hole via a plastic tubing gear oil filler with a pump, such as the kind used to fill rear end pumpkins in cars/trucks.

/ John Deere 790 with Mid-Mount (Belly) Mower
Thanks!

/ John Deere 790 with Mid-Mount (Belly) Mower #8  
Yeah, just make sure the deck is fairly level, remove the fill hole plug, and squirt the new stuff in there until it's up to the bottom of the hole. Put the plug back in and go.

/ John Deere 790 with Mid-Mount (Belly) Mower #9  
My MMM gear box does not have a vent on top either. I remove the top plug and fill until until the oil starts running out.

By the way, great tractor and mower combination, same as mine. Initially it took a lot of effort to get it leveled and the height adjusted but it cuts really well..

Best Wishes

Art:thumbsup:

/ John Deere 790 with Mid-Mount (Belly) Mower #10  
I have a question about gear oil in my mmm MF2310. I have been servicing this tractor myself. It is a 08' model and I bought it new June 2010. I checked the gearbox on the mmm and the fluid is below the top but pours freely out of the drain hole. It looks very thin, but clean. I did not get a service manual with it and it is not marked anywhere on the gear box what weight to use. Suggestions?