Looking at a 5085M, your opinion please

/ Looking at a 5085M, your opinion please #1  

Bigfoot62

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090M; JD 5085M; JD 5083E; NH TN70A; Ford 2600
Anyone out there running a 5M series tractor? I'm looking at a new 5085M. (85 hp) Cab, MFWD, 16x16 power reverser trans, FEL.
Probably will purchase in the next few days. Anything I need to know? (Good, bad, ugly)
BTW, I have 60 acres of hay meadows and I want a cab tractor to use with my hay baler. (JD 457 round baler)
Thanks.

/ Looking at a 5085M, your opinion please #2  
Anyone out there running a 5M series tractor? I'm looking at a new 5085M. (85 hp) Cab, MFWD, 16x16 power reverser trans, FEL.
Probably will purchase in the next few days. Anything I need to know? (Good, bad, ugly)
BTW, I have 60 acres of hay meadows and I want a cab tractor to use with my hay baler. (JD 457 round baler)
Thanks.

nothing bad that i know of except the price:laughing: seems like the ideal size for a small hay operation however. you should enjoy it:thumbsup:

/ Looking at a 5085M, your opinion please
nothing bad that i know of except the price:laughing: seems like the ideal size for a small hay operation however. you should enjoy it:thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply.
I can live with the price. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to buy the 5085M for half the money, but it ain't gonna happen. The only other tractors that I've considered this time are the NH T5040 or T5050 and the Kubota M8540 or M9540. This JD 5085M is priced about the same as the NH and just a little more than the Kubota.
I have a tendency to keep my equipment for years. Most likely, this new tractor will be with me for as long as I'm able to do the hay baling. The older that I get and the more hours I spend in a tractor seat, the more that I'm willing to pay for comfort and ease of operation. If you'll look in my signature, you'll see that my newest tractor is a NH TN70A. When I bought it, just a little over 2 years ago, I could have bought the NH TT75 for about 20% less money. I paid the extra for the convenience and features of the TN, and I don't regret it one bit.

/ Looking at a 5085M, your opinion please #4  
Don't own one but looked at one very closely about a month ago. Looks like the ideal tractor for your uses. I agree with getting the extras you wan't for comfort too, some of my friends thought I was nuts buying the cab for my 110tlb but I have no regrets. Very nice to have in inclement weather and in your case while performing haying operations.

The 16x16 PR transmission should be a great choice too. I haven't heard of any problems with this model so far.

/ Looking at a 5085M, your opinion please #5  
I put in an order confirmation for a 5105M w/cab and 563SL loader about three weeks ago. The tractor is in, still waiting on the loader and a few accessories. When I was pricing through three different local dealers, every one of them persuaded me towards the M over the E. They each had customers who had purchased the E-series and were not totally satisfied and were looking to trade-up to either the M-series or 6-series within a year. These customers however we're fairly heavy users in the cattle/hay business, not your casual weekend operator. The E-series are a lighter tractor and missing a few options and creature comforts. One of the deciding factors for me going with the M-series was the purchase being a long-term investment with the intention of having it for many years to come.

Well, after a couple of weeks of visiting dealers and getting prices, I did it. Signed the papers today. Should be delivered by the end of next week. Actually bought it from a local dealer. (if you can call 75 miles local)
I think I'm really going to like this tractor. Plus, it matches the color of my JD 457 round baler. :D

I'll let ya'll know how this turns out.

/ Looking at a 5085M, your opinion please #7  
I own a 5085M and the 16/16 POWR Reverser and it doesn't work as I expected even when i shift with the clutch it is very choppy

I own a 5085M and the 16/16 POWR Reverser and it doesn't work as I expected even when i shift with the clutch it is very choppy

Thanks for your input. I am aware of that characteristic, and I think that I'll be willing to live with it. This tractor will be primarily used in the hay field (baling and then stacking hay) and I'm hoping that it won't be an issue. In fact, I'm counting on the P/R transmission to be an advantage for all of the forward/reverse work of stacking hay.

I'm not a mechanic or engineer, but as I understand it, all power reverser or hydraulic shuttle transmissions use a fluid drive unit that is controlled by a hydraulic valve. And, you're correct, it's hard to just "ease it" up a little. It's not like a standard transmission with a dry clutch. You can "feather" a dry clutch. (but that also causes a lot of wear to the clutch)

/ Looking at a 5085M, your opinion please #9  
I have a 5085M, but I got a two wheel drive unit. I like mine so far, I have had it 11 months and have put a little over 350 hours on it. The only thing that I have had an issue with is the engagement of the PTO, which has been addressed and repaired.

I really like mine so far, very comfortable.

Marshall

Marshall, thanks for your comments. Does yours have the 540/540E pto option? What was the specific problem?
I can appreciate someone having a 2wd tractor, and it has its place. I have a 6' finish mower on my 2600 and it does great. Don't need a 4x4 tractor to mow the yard. ;) My primary use for my larger tractors is in the hay field. The MFWD tractor has bigger front tires that ride better in the field and handle heavy front loads better. Not to mention the traction difference.