help with verticle exhaust upgrade on a 4610 - though the side panel

/ help with verticle exhaust upgrade on a 4610 - though the side panel #1  

Interlaux

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4610 eHydro w/ 460 FEL, JD 3140 w/GB 660 FEL
My first thread here guys you rock! I'm so tired of the extra heat from the exhaust and after and after reading here many times the benifit I ordered an exhaust pipe and bracket from my local dealer. I have two questions:
  • for those who have done the through the side upgrades does the kit come with some sort of heat shield or grommet for the hole I will have to cut through the hood the side panel is already notched. I'm asking because the parts diagram doesnt really show anything and when I asked the JD salesman over the phone all I got was a duh? Since the tractor is old the kit is not availble so I ordered what I could see.
  • For anyone who has upgraded to vertical: can I leave the low side exhaust pipe in place and switch from one to another if I really need to get into the woods? I'm asking because everyone who I've told about my upgrade immediately says you'll tear it off. If I do I'll have to hide to tractor from SWMBO until repaired
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• P7280105.jpg
    P7280105.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
   / help with verticle exhaust upgrade on a 4610 - though the side panel
What did I do wrong - I mean beside mis-spelling "through" and a small font.?.:eek:
no one here with a recent 4something JD has upgraded to vert exhaust?

/ help with verticle exhaust upgrade on a 4610 - though the side panel #3  
You did nothing wrong...I guess nobody knows the answer?

/ help with verticle exhaust upgrade on a 4610 - though the side panel #4  
My first thread here guys you rock! I'm so tired of the extra heat from the exhaust and after and after reading here many times the benifit I ordered an exhaust pipe and bracket from my local dealer. I have two questions:
  • for those who have done the through the side upgrades does the kit come with some sort of heat shield or grommet for the hole I will have to cut through the hood the side panel is already notched. I'm asking because the parts diagram doesnt really show anything and when I asked the JD salesman over the phone all I got was a duh? Since the tractor is old the kit is not availble so I ordered what I could see.
  • For anyone who has upgraded to vertical: can I leave the low side exhaust pipe in place and switch from one to another if I really need to get into the woods? I'm asking because everyone who I've told about my upgrade immediately says you'll tear it off. If I do I'll have to hide to tractor from SWMBO until repaired
Thanks for any help!

I put the vertical stack on my 4700. Did it about 10 years ago so I may not remember every detail. I am doing this blind as I am not at home now to check. Seems to me that JD provided some type of a foil heat shield that came with the kit. You will not be able to leave the low side exhaust on, therefore you cannot switch from one to the other quickly.

I never regretted going with the vertical stack, of course I do not mow around a lot of low trees either. Blow that exhaust up over your head where it belongs instead of in your face every time the wind changes.

Thanks Storm - do you still have your 4700?

/ help with verticle exhaust upgrade on a 4610 - though the side panel #6  
Deere did have a kit to make this change. It might still be available, so check with your dealer (not the saleguys...go to the parts dept).
IIRC, you do have to trim a "U" shape cutout in the hood. There's a template provided with the kit.

My 4400 is my first machine with the low exhaust. Both the 670 and 790 had a manly vertical exhaust stack. You'd have to hit a heck of a branch to knock it off or even damage it. However, you also have to watch for low hanging branches swinging back and hitting you in the face (that would hurt, big time!!). I got around that (for yard mowing) by trimming low hangers early in the mowing season.

Although I'd prefer the vertical exhaust, I have no intention of converting my 4400 (after all, I'm so manly now I can barely stand it)

/ help with verticle exhaust upgrade on a 4610 - though the side panel #7  
   / help with verticle exhaust upgrade on a 4610 - though the side panel #8  
You be careful Kenny. He can hop on the 4400 and drive it to your place in under six hours and all the ladies will swoon as he drives by. Including yours! :D

/ help with verticle exhaust upgrade on a 4610 - though the side panel #9  
You be careful Kenny. He can hop on the 4400 and drive it to your place in under six hours and all the ladies will swoon as he drives by. Including yours! :D

He can have her...I will meet him half-way;)

Thanks Roy - call me a wuss but dang its hot mowing down here. I checked with JDparts and by voice with my local dealer - kit no longer available. I could still get the pipe and bracket and the price seemed a little low - around $180 for both. I left town before the parts were delivered - I drive right by my dealer on the way to work so I always use them but could get no warm and fuzzies about other stuff I'll need. The hood has a "knock-out" molded in. I may need a strong shot before I start to cut on it:confused2:. I'm sure they will get me fixxed up in the end but I'm on a vacation and thought I'd see if any members could give some insight. I want to get it changed while its still hot - gives me till October