Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Default Re: help with verticle exhaust upgrade on a 4610 - though the side panel

Quote Originally Posted by arrabil View Post
    You be careful Kenny. He can hop on the 4400 and drive it to your place in under six hours and all the ladies will swoon as he drives by. Including yours!
    Actually, Westminster is just under 40 miles and the 4400 will do just under 16 MPH in road gear. I figure 3.5-4 hours.
    But, it's cool...I got one wife and that's enough for me!!
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    N/A

Default Re: help with verticle exhaust upgrade on a 4610 - though the side panel

Quote Originally Posted by Interlaux View Post
    Thanks Storm - do you still have your 4700?
    Yes I do!

John Deere 4700 - FEL & Backhoe
    McCormick C80L - FEL
    Bolens G152

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Interlaux View Post
    The hood has a "knock-out" molded in. I may need a strong shot before I start to cut on it.
    Seems to me that in my case Deere provided a template. I also put a piece of duct tape over the area before I started. I did not make my first cut with a jigsaw to the line, left a little material and filed the rest by hand. It turned out real nice.

I figured I would probably do a better job without the shot, I saved that till after I finished!

McCormick C80L - FEL
    Bolens G152

Tractor
    JD 4610 eHydro w/ 460 FEL, JD 3140 w/GB 660 FEL

Storm - why the duct tape ? to keep it from flaking? I'm assuming the 4700 had the side panel with a "half moon" so you just had to cut the hood? Thanks for the advice which I will follow. How many hours on the 4700? I'm thinking you may not want the BH attachment and want to let it go cheap
    JD 4610 eHydro w/460 FEL - best stress relief I've ever had! JD 3140 with SG2 cab and a big loader- a country boys dream, '11 625i with deluxe cab - ride it every night

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    N/A

The duct tape also covered the area where my jigsaw ran and kept that area from getting scratched. It also provided a little extra support just in case my saw grabbed and I felt it may help with any potential for cracks. I was unsure of how the plastic would react so I was just looking for a little extra "insurance" against damage. Worked like a charm.

About 650 hours on the 4700 now and no the backhoe is not for sale. In fact I just used it about 2 weeks ago and it is still on the machine as I type this.

McCormick C80L - FEL
    Bolens G152

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by Storm56 View Post
    The duct tape also covered the area where my jigsaw ran and kept that area from getting scratched. It also provided a little extra support just in case my saw grabbed...
    Duct tape, or masking tape, can prevent scratches from the saw as well as prevent the plastic from splintering during the cut.
    Also, use as fine tooth blade as you can find. It's better to cut a bit small and file out more, if necessary.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    JD 4610 eHydro w/ 460 FEL, JD 3140 w/GB 660 FEL

Now I get it - the tape is on the side where the saw "foot" is. Hum - now that I'm thinking about it the ridge from the mold and the angle of the hood means cutting from the outside is the only way to go. Thanks guys!
    JD 4610 eHydro w/460 FEL - best stress relief I've ever had! JD 3140 with SG2 cab and a big loader- a country boys dream, '11 625i with deluxe cab - ride it every night

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH 3040

Even if you can cut from the bottom you should include duct tape in any project. It's a man law I think. And if it stays hot as long as it has the past few years; you will have midway into November and you will still be mowing.
    NH 3040 fel 6' cutter
    JD 737 zero turn
    polaris ranger xp
    99 honda 300
    trek 5900 nobody knows what that is.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 870

Just got my 870 yesterday and played with it for an hour or so. I have the vertical exhaust I guess it was standard?? I was actually thinking of extending it a bit as it blows right into my face. I do have a lot of tree branches to deal with but I may be able to work around them. I thought of cutting it shorter but I don't think that would help at all.

Before you install I'd double check your head height in relation to the pipe or you're gonna be in my boat. :-)7

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Redgoatea View Post
    Just got my 870 yesterday and played with it for an hour or so. I have the vertical exhaust I guess it was standard?? I was actually thinking of extending it a bit as it blows right into my face. I do have a lot of tree branches to deal with but I may be able to work around them. I thought of cutting it shorter but I don't think that would help at all.

Before you install I'd double check your head height in relation to the pipe or you're gonna be in my boat. :-)7
    Yeah, vertical exhaust was standard on all of the x70 series tractors as well as the 790 and 990. When Deere renamed the 790 (now 3005) and 990 (now 4005), they went to an underhood stack.
    I never had a problem with exhaust gases in my face with either my 670 or 790 (870 (and 970) is the big brother of the 670 and a forerunner to the 790). Branches were a problem. I just trimmed them in areas I mowed regularly. Since I don't take the tractor into the wooded areas regularly, I never saw a need to modify the height of the stack. You most assuredly do want to watch for branches swinging back though!!
    Roy Jackson

-Joseph P. Martino

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast