JD 4230 Air conditioning problem

/ JD 4230 Air conditioning problem #1  

smitty9805

I just purchased a 1973 4230 John Deere tractor. I was told the only problem with the tractor was the Air conditioner was not working, so i called a retired john deere mechanic in to install a brand new COMPLETE system. The system included all new lines, dryer, evaporater, compresser, filters, and getting the condensor flushed and checked out. The kit is an A & I system which obviously is an aftermarket kit but my john deere dealer recomended it. After the installation i noticed on hot days with the ac on high it dosen't seem to cool like i would have expected. Any one have any knowledge on this or is this normal???

/ JD 4230 Air conditioning problem #2  
I am not familiar with the A&I kit, but assuming the replacement parts are cmparable to the original equipment parts, the system should provide plenty of cooling even in the hottest weather. On these tractors, the number one problem is lack of enough airflow through the radiator and condensor. Even when they appear clean, alot of dirt can be trapped in the colling fins. A pressure washer is required to clean thoroughly. Have your mechanic put his a/c gauges on the system on a hot day. If system is properly charged and enough air is cooling the radiator and condensor, the high side pressure should not go above around 225 psi max. If it goes higher than that, then either there is not enough air or it is overcharged. The low side should be from 10 -20 psi. Lack of air can cause this pressure to be high also. If the low side is showing a vacuum, then probably the expansion valve is bad or clogged.

/ JD 4230 Air conditioning problem #3  
Make sure your cab filter and the condenser in the roof are clean.You have a lot of glass area in that tractor.Some of those older tractors just sort of broke even on real hot,bright days.

/ JD 4230 Air conditioning problem
thanks for the replies guys. rundog yes we installed new filters in the cab and a new evaporator as well. we flushed the radiator out but maybe not as well as we could have.

/ JD 4230 Air conditioning problem #5  
I just purchased a 1973 4230 John Deere tractor. I was told the only problem with the tractor was the Air conditioner was not working, so i called a retired john deere mechanic in to install a brand new COMPLETE system. The system included all new lines, dryer, evaporater, compresser, filters, and getting the condensor flushed and checked out. The kit is an A & I system which obviously is an aftermarket kit but my john deere dealer recomended it. After the installation i noticed on hot days with the ac on high it dosen't seem to cool like i would have expected. Any one have any knowledge on this or is this normal???

Do you have a small electric fan? if yes place the fan in front of the radiator and blow air through the condenser while monitoring the output air temperature from the center duct. If you notice and record an improvement purchase one of the small vehicle electric fans from a junk yard and place in on the tractor to assist the existing fan. Some of the older tractors had fans that did not move enough air to obtain maximum efficiency from the air conditioner condenser.

/ JD 4230 Air conditioning problem #6  
With that much glass around the cab, you could Tint the windows. The tinting need not be dark, use a sliver colored tint to reflect the heat with very little darkening.

/ JD 4230 Air conditioning problem #7  
Have you cleaned out your ac condencer out in might be dirty i have found that the best way for that is too power wash it out

/ JD 4230 Air conditioning problem #8  
I have a quetion that i can not find any help on i have a 4230 john deere put new ac system on it and know it will start blowing cold out all the vents for aliitle bit. Then it will quit blowing out of the left two vents and the compressor stops also. I have changed the silioned out were the breakers are put a new switch in that turns your ac on and still hasnt fixed the problem everybody that i talk to dont have any clue. I also have changed the breakers as well

/ JD 4230 Air conditioning problem #9  
Down in the Texas near the desert I don't stop putting R134A in by JD tractor until the high pressure gauge is at 260 psi. PS it cools on R134A better than it did on R12 before I changed it over. My tractor has an A&I evaporator in it.

/ JD 4230 Air conditioning problem #10  
Your ac problem could be blower motor or loose connections on the circuit board on LH side of dash. Have you checked the circuit board for loose circuit breakers or brown spots in the board??