x55 steering cylinder

/ x55 steering cylinder #1  

Mechanos

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 955/70A/7 TLB
This 955 I'm working on amazes me...... how some parts of it can be so well engineered and designed and how just plain idiotic other parts are. The ball joint ends on mine are shot and the best I can tell, they are not replacable. I can't find a part number for just the ball joints either. I cannot believe that they intend someone to throw away and entire, perfectly good hydraulic cylinder and buy a new because a common wear item like a ball joint needs replacing.

/ x55 steering cylinder #2  
Compared to the New 20 series tractors and how poorly they are made, I'm happy I have a 755. I was considering an upgrade but I'm keeping my old girl instead. This tractor has never let me down.

/ x55 steering cylinder #3  
Compared to the New 20 series tractors and how poorly they are made, I'm happy I have a 755. I was considering an upgrade but I'm keeping my old girl instead. This tractor has never let me down.

I never want to berate anyone else's tractor, because they are all pretty neat in their own way. They can all provide a useful and fun time, and be a proud owner experience. I still get excited to see the new models as they come out, and learn about them. A couple times I have come close to buying another new one, but in the end I find I'm just interested because it's new and might be bigger or more powerful, and that's not necessary for me. Bottom line is when it gets down to the nitty gritty details of the new machine I am always disappointed in some way as to the cost cutting design or operator features. The x55 tractors were the first in-house designed and built JD compacts, and they put a lot of logic and durability into the design. I could not ask for a more reliable or operator friendly machine. Some day if the new tractor bug really bites too hard, I would still have to keep my 755 as the never-fail backup. I'm not at all interested in starting a discussion of features, costs, reliability, or anything else of the various models or brands. They all have their pros and cons, and in some way I like them all. Just stating my experienced opinion of my tractor.

/ x55 steering cylinder #4  
The x55 tractors were the first in-house designed and built JD compacts...

Really? Where...Horicon, WI? Do you have more info on that?
I asked about that at the JD Museum in Moline, but did not get an
answer.

Mechanos:
I did not change my 955 tie rod ends, but I was successful finding
a non-JD replacement for my tie rod ends for my 4300 by searching
size charts. Yours should be easier since they are car-sized.

/ x55 steering cylinder #5  
answer.

Mechanos:

The x55 tractors were designed in Horicon. The early models were also built there until the Augusta plant was built. Production then moved to there.

/ x55 steering cylinder
answer.

Mechanos:

Yeah, tie rod ends are shot too and need replacing... but that is the easy part. Just unscrew old one and screw in new one. The ball-joint end on the steering cylinder are not. :(

/ x55 steering cylinder #7  
I should choose my words more carefully, The 20 series have some flaws that have kept me from buying a new tractor though. All of them have already been mentioned and discussed in great length. IMO Deere should be making the best tractor possible ! Instead of taking short cuts.

/ x55 steering cylinder #8  
Also it was not my intention to degrade or berate anyone's tractor. I take back my comment about the whole tractor being poorly designed. Just some major parts need re engineering.

/ x55 steering cylinder #9  
Yeah, tie rod ends are shot too and need replacing... but that is the easy part. Just unscrew old one and screw in new one. The ball-joint end on the steering cylinder are not. :(

Hmm. The cyl ball joint for the 4300 screws to the rod and I saw lots
of similar joints in the Spicer catalog. I am not replacing mine, however.
All my 955s had decent steering components, so I replaced nothing.

/ x55 steering cylinder #10  
Also it was not my intention to degrade or berate anyone's tractor. I take back my comment about the whole tractor being poorly designed. Just some major parts need re engineering.

Kevin - I really wasn't trying to beat up on you. I knew what you meant and in a long worded way was trying to say I agree with your thoughts.:)