JD 3520 Front and Rear Work Light Install

/ JD 3520 Front and Rear Work Light Install #1  

nforktractor

Silver Member
Tractor
2009 JD 3320
Hi, I got the JD front and rear work lights to put on my JD 3520, and the splitters that came with them on the tractor end seem to be just the opposite of what I need.

Found the the two purple and black wires behind the seat, one for each side, the black wires have male plugs and the purple wires have female plugs.

The wires, front and rear same side, coming from the lights have purple male plugs and the black female plugs, which it seems would work just right with the tractor side.

The splitters have 4 wires on one end, two purple female plugs and two black male plugs which seem to work just right with the the wires from the two lights, for each side.

The splitters on the other end have just 2 wires, the purple is a female plug and the black is a male plug, which is exactly like the tractor side, so I can't plug in to the tractor?

Not sure what I am looking at the wrong way, but would appreciate any advice and help!

Thanks, David W.

/ JD 3520 Front and Rear Work Light Install #2  
I have both on my 3520 and didn't have any issues. It is after dark at the moment but would be more than happy to run out in the morning and take pictures if you want.

-Jeff

/ JD 3520 Front and Rear Work Light Install
Thanks Jeff, Couldn't hurt to see how your's are hooked up, seems my problem is with the splitters, thought I might of gotten a bad one, but, both are same, without the splitters looks like no problem hooking up some lights, just either front or back, but, if I want both, I can't seem to figure out how the splitter comes into the picture, no way to plug the splitter into the tractor harness, and, keep the same colors lined up, purple with purple and black with black, I'll take a couple of pictures when I get home later today to show what I am talking about, Thanks again, David W.

/ JD 3520 Front and Rear Work Light Install #4  
Dave, I am trying to remember how my kit came for the lights, but it has been 3 years so memory is a bit foggy. I snapped some quick pics this morning but it is raining out and I didn't want to get the camera too wet so they aren't the best pics. If it slows down I'll go out and break out the wires individually so that you can see exactly what is hooked up to what.

Attachments

• IMG_2665.jpg
    IMG_2665.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_2664.jpg
    IMG_2664.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_2662.jpg
    IMG_2662.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 371
Thanks Jeff, Certainly stay out of the rain! Couldn't tell what colors the wires were, though I think I saw on purple one. No big hurry, and, I'll get some pictures too. Thanks again, David W.

Here are a few pictures,

first pic is of the tractor's wiring harness, purple female plug, and black male plug,

second pic is of the wires for the lights on one side, purple male plugs, and black female plugs,

seems that would work just right, but, would allow only one light, per side,

third pic is of the splitter, on the end, for the lights, four purple female plugs, and four black male plugs,

seems okay for the wires coming down from the lights,

but, on the other end of the splitter, where I guess you would plug into the tractor, purple female plug, and black male plug,

same as is on the tractor's wiring harness?

sure seems like the splitter ends on the two wire end, should be just the opposite?

Thanks for any help and advice, David W.

/ JD 3520 Front and Rear Work Light Install #7  
Ok I went out and looked a little closer. What I did was flipped the colors on the splitter so that the purple from the tractor goes to the black on the splitter and vice versa. On the light facing side I am using matching colors. It seems that Deere for whatever reason has the colors inverted on the upstream side. Both of my lights work exactly as expected like this.

BTW, the blue on my pics is actually purple. The UV bleaches the color out so it looks light blue.

Thanks Jeff, Hard to believe, that using the opposite colors would work like that.

I'll give it try when I get home tonight, and see what happens.

I did see the blue, boy that sunlight really changes colors,

Thanks, David W.

/ JD 3520 Front and Rear Work Light Install #9  
Looks like both engineering and quality were sleeping to let that splitter out. A light wont care which way it's hooked up, but a solid state device would.

/ JD 3520 Front and Rear Work Light Install #10  
Looking at the splitter it is obvious the quick connectors are reversed. That being the case I would have spliced the wires with wire nuts or crimp connectors maintaining proper polarity. But it is true the light bulbs in this case won't care.