Previous Owner Stupidity

/ Previous Owner Stupidity #1  

arrabil

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4200 & X475
Since my tractor is already under repair for an axle vent I thought I would tackle some other issues that have been annoying me.... the brakes not engaging properly in this instance. I followed the instructions for adjusting the pedal linkages but couldn't get the one turnbuckle nut to move. The turnbuckle wouldn't move the other way either. So I took the whole brake rod out to work on it.

How pleasant! The previous owner seems to have Red Loctited the nut and turnbuckle to the rod. Removing both resulted in this. Of course this is the left hand thread rod so the chances of me finding some 12mm LH rod at TrueValue are slim to none. That means no welding on a new threaded end and calling it fixed. Instead I get to spend $28.05 at Deere.

Why the previous owner would have permanently fixed the rod in place I can kind of understand. But permanently fixing it in the WRONG position is almost comical.

Attachments

• brakerod1.jpg
    brakerod1.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 360
   / Previous Owner Stupidity #2  
I am missing why you think you need a new one.

You can get the locktite remnant off by heating with a propane torch and then wire brushing.

/ Previous Owner Stupidity
Check the threads to the left of the loctite. There are none! They were stuck to the nut I had to cut off. Without the threads, I can't adjust the linkage longer, which is what I determined was necessary to get the brakes right.

/ Previous Owner Stupidity #5  
You can get the locktite remnant off by heating with a propane torch

Perhaps heat applied prior to removal would also help.:)

/ Previous Owner Stupidity #6  
arrabil;

Just in case you still need the brake rod. For threaded rod I go to McMaster-Carr. They have RH,LH,Metric and/or SAE. Fast shipping too.

SimS

/ Previous Owner Stupidity
Perhaps heat applied prior to removal would also help.
Yeah. Gotta have an inkling as to whats wrong first. And have to have a heat source too.

go to McMaster-Carr
Thanks for the tip. Just checked. They have it and its $14.40 plus shipping which works out to a little less cost and I could repair multiple rods if need be.

However, this morning it occurs to me that I need to make the linkage longer so I don't really care that the threads are missing.... I'm not working that far back on it. Don't know why I thought otherwise last night (Mr. Guinness might have had something to do with it). Gonna go check on that shortly.....

/ Previous Owner Stupidity #8  
I have a similar problem with my '06 3320, but I bought it new so no loctite. It is the right side reverse thread jammed into the turnbuckle. The jam nut loosens. This rod is right in the middle of the loader hydraulic hard lines and I can't just pull the cotter pin and take it out because it is blocked by the backhoe mount. I am just going to remove the front cotter pin and shorten just the one end. Eventually I will run out of play and have to deal with it. Steve