2320 Steering Wheel Removal

/ 2320 Steering Wheel Removal #1  

jimjo2

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, 5303, 5320, Z997R
I have tried without success to remove the steering wheel on my 2320. Does anyone have any ideas/tools to get this job done?

/ 2320 Steering Wheel Removal #2  
On my Dads X495 -same wheel, I sat on the seat and lifted with my hands and knees if you can imagine that, while he tapped the nut on the steering shaft. Of course you back the nut off flush with the threads first. Otherwise you'll have to find some pads for a gear puller?

Tim

/ 2320 Steering Wheel Removal #3  
I am curious why you need to remove it?

/ 2320 Steering Wheel Removal
I need to remove to to replace the instrument cluster. The tach froze up and destroyed the tach cable as well. An expensive fix!

/ 2320 Steering Wheel Removal #5  
The JD2320 service manual says:
1.Park machine with brake engaged
2.Disengage three locking tabs at underside of steering wheel and remove steering wheel center cover
3.Remove lock nut
4.Remove steering wheel, if necessary use a suitable puller

/ 2320 Steering Wheel Removal
Well, I finally got the steering wheel off. I fabricated a puller and I don't believe I could have purchased one any better to do this job. The dang thing was on so tight it actually started to pull the steel bushing that is molded into the steering wheel started to pull out. Thankfully my puller was tight enough to the shaft that it popped it off. I was able to press the hub back where it belonged. On re-assembly, I coated all steel mating parts with anti-seize. I think my dealer was the last to work on the steering wheel and he just tightened it too tight.