2320 Leaking Gear oil

/ 2320 Leaking Gear oil #1  

bill1369

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2320
Hi All,

Have a JD2320 that is almost 2 years old (next month). Have about 800 hrs on it. (Use it almost every other day for small horse farm work).

I noticed the other day a puddle of gear oil underneath where the Drive Shaft meets up with the front Axle housing. (I will get pics when I get home).

I get a small puddle every morning now. (It isn't pouring out)

I looked at the jdparts catalog to see what parts make up this section. The only thing I can think of that might have failed would be the "O-Ring" (Part 33 of the Front Axle Housing)

I haven't even attempted to take apart yet to see if it is O-Ring. (Like I said, I use about every day, so taking apart and not gettting back together again is scary :) )

Has anyone had a similar issue? (Pictures to come soon)

Thanks,
BILL

/ 2320 Leaking Gear oil #2  
is the level of oil dropping?

i thought mine was leaking oil but then i found that one of the rubber injector return hoses had worn through and what I thought was oil was diesel

/ 2320 Leaking Gear oil #3  
Not heard of this problem on a 2320.

/ 2320 Leaking Gear oil
Opps....I had the picture wrong from jdparts. I attached a pic from jdparts and circled and labeled where my leak is coming from. Must be part 24 "Seal". So, now that I have the part right....anyone seen this issue? (Will get camera out soon to take pics)

Attachments

• leak.gif
    leak.gif
    28.4 KB · Views: 448
   / 2320 Leaking Gear oil #6  
Haven't seen any problem there unless something gets wrapped up in the seal. Could some tall grass or baler twine be wrapped up on shaft? (If tractor is less than 2 years old, it should be in warranty)

/ 2320 Leaking Gear oil
I will check to see if any grass or anything is stuck in there. There is a hard rubber protective sleave that sits over it....so I figured it would be pretty protected.

When I took the sleave off a couple days ago to check where the leak was coming from, there wasn't anything obvious in there. Also it is a small opening, so can't really get any fingers or anything in there.

But I will check tonight :)

Weird...I only had 1 drip last night.....where the other night was a 2ft wide circle.

/ 2320 Leaking Gear oil
I checked and there was nothing hung up around the seal. Called the dealer today and they said to bring it in and they should have it fixed up in 3-4 days.

Going to finish up as many tasks as possible before bringing it to them since I use it about every other day around the farm.

Keeping fingers crossed..... :)

/ 2320 Leaking Gear oil #9  
bill1369 said:
I will check to see if any grass or anything is stuck in there. There is a hard rubber protective sleave that sits over it....so I figured it would be pretty protected.

When I took the sleave off a couple days ago to check where the leak was coming from, there wasn't anything obvious in there. Also it is a small opening, so can't really get any fingers or anything in there.

But I will check tonight :)

Weird...I only had 1 drip last night.....where the other night was a 2ft wide circle.

Kind of a silly question but, did you add more oil since the leak developed? Maybe it's empty? Lol

/ 2320 Leaking Gear oil
Kind of a silly question but, did you add more oil since the leak developed? Maybe it's empty? Lol

Not a silly question.....actually a very good question!! :thumbsup: I have been checking right along and everything was good.... BUT....I spent a good few hours moving some dirt around and that is the same day that I only had a few drips at night.

I just checked it again after your message and the dipstick was dry!!! :(:( So yeah I must have drained it all out moving that dirt (I didn't even think of it :()

Just went and bought a couple gallons of gear oil to get me through my chores until I can get to the dealer.

I hope I didn't do any damage ........ Hopefully the dealer will be able to check things out when he takes it apart.