John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #1  

JBarnes6767

I have continued this posting from a previous one that was getting quite lengthy, the purpose of this thread is to share and gather information on a John Deere 2305 rear PTO failure and transmission housing repair and to seek knowledge and support on a class action suit against John Deere and gather fellow disappointed 2305 owners for this righteous pursuit.

See pictures of this catastrophic failure attached at bottom of this thread...

Here is my posting from back in May 2010 from the previous thread...links to the old posting and another one like it attached below....

Unfortunately I found this posting and many like it all over the web on how the John Deere 2210 and 2305 has had catastrophic rear PTO failures and problems. The reason I am here and writing this is to join the increasing number of dissatisfied consumers of this tractor. Same situation that I am finding more and more by searching the net and talking to other 2305 owners,tilling or bush hogging, hit something where slip clutch doesnt disengage for one of many reasons (load not significant enough to cause clutch to slip, froze up from rust or paint, etc...), and rear PTO housing gets completely destroyed. I took this immediately to local Koenig John Deere dealer where purchased 3 years prior, only to find out 2 days later, they have seen this exact problem before and my bill is over $6000. $3300 of which is just parts. And wait, it gets worse. Service manager at this dealership tells me this is a known problem and JD has since "beefed up" this transmission housing to prevent this problem. I was in shock! I took my broke 2305 back home to evaluate it myself because i couldnt believe they were correct. After 45 minutes of removing parts to get into the rear transmission, my nightmare came true. The thin, badly engineered cast aluminum housing gave way. How JD ever expected the already brittle cast aluminum metal(only 1/8-1/4" thick on outer wall) to withstand any torque at 540 RPM under a load is insane. And the kicker of all this is, their redesign of this is the only parts offered, so the remaining pieces i could have salvaged that were not destroyed are trash, and i have to completely replace ever part in the rear housing on my dime. This tractor is warrantied for 36 months on the drivetrain or 2000 hours. Of course my tractor is 6 months out of warranty and has less than 300 hours of total run time, of which only a few hours of use on the rear PTO. A supervisor from JD is supposedly going to get back with me in the next 48 hours to discuss, but my hopes are dwendling of getting them to help I will keep you posted as to how they handle this situation. If it turns out to be negative support from John Deere in helping owners of the 2210 and 2305 to repair their machines, i would like to know if any other members on here are interested in joining my lead in a class action lawsuit against them. Thanks

Supervisor from John Deere called me back today. She first said that "With your tractor being 2 years out of warranty and with 600 hours on it, we can not offer you any assistance." I then had to inform her that both of those statements were false. My tractor has 200 something hours and is only 6 months out of the drive-train warranty. She had already made up her mind and insisted that there was nothing John Deere would do. Is this the type of service and quality that most John Deere consumers are subjected to? I am working my way up the ladder trying to get some assistance on this matter.

Long story short after hours and hours on the phone with dozens of different John Deere managers and customer service representatives, including the territory rep here in southwest Ohio, John Deere didn't lift a thumb to help me on discounting parts or labor for this repair. In the end, the owner of the dealership where the tractor was purchased, gave me an 18% discount on parts, mainly to just get me off his back. After an exhaustive battle for almost 3 months, and without my front end loader and mower (manure piling up and grass getting high), i gave in and bought the parts at the discounted rate. It took 4 friends and myself working very hard 1 whole weekend and 5 nights after work repairing this transmission. Attached are pictures of the flaw and repair. Note: The new transmission that replaces the old has an bearing wall thickness nearly 3 times thicker than original design. What a nightmare this has been.

It is now that i feel that a lawsuit to force John Deere to reimburse all 2305 owners who have had to make this repair themselves on their dime and to force a recall of all 2007 and older 2305/2210 tractor to have the new transmission design installed.

If you have an interest or questions about this repair, please email me directly at JBarnes6767@gmail.com or send me a message on this site.

Thanks

Jacob Barnes

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/93929-2210-2305-rear-power-take.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/107269-i-broke-power-take-off.html

Attachments

• 0508000833.jpg
    0508000833.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 8,799
  • 0508000833a.jpg
    0508000833a.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 5,877
  • DSCN0491.JPG
    DSCN0491.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 13,065
  • DSCN0490.JPG
    DSCN0490.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 9,717
  • DSCN0554.JPG
    DSCN0554.JPG
    272.7 KB · Views: 8,438
  • DSCN0547.JPG
    DSCN0547.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 11,743
  • DSCN0530.JPG
    DSCN0530.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 7,841
  • DSCN0528.JPG
    DSCN0528.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 17,773
   / John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #2  
I have continued this posting from a previous one that was getting quite lengthy, the purpose of this thread is to share and gather information on a John Deere 2305 rear PTO failure and transmission housing repair and to seek knowledge and support on a class action suit against John Deere and gather fellow disappointed 2305 owners for this righteous pursuit.

See pictures of this catastrophic failure attached at bottom of this thread...

Here is my posting from back in May 2010 from the previous thread...links to the old posting and another one like it attached below....

Unfortunately I found this posting and many like it all over the web on how the John Deere 2210 and 2305 has had catastrophic rear PTO failures and problems. The reason I am here and writing this is to join the increasing number of dissatisfied consumers of this tractor. Same situation that I am finding more and more by searching the net and talking to other 2305 owners,tilling or bush hogging, hit something where slip clutch doesnt disengage for one of many reasons (load not significant enough to cause clutch to slip, froze up from rust or paint, etc...), and rear PTO housing gets completely destroyed. I took this immediately to local Koenig John Deere dealer where purchased 3 years prior, only to find out 2 days later, they have seen this exact problem before and my bill is over $6000. $3300 of which is just parts. And wait, it gets worse. Service manager at this dealership tells me this is a known problem and JD has since "beefed up" this transmission housing to prevent this problem. I was in shock! I took my broke 2305 back home to evaluate it myself because i couldnt believe they were correct. After 45 minutes of removing parts to get into the rear transmission, my nightmare came true. The thin, badly engineered cast aluminum housing gave way. How JD ever expected the already brittle cast aluminum metal(only 1/8-1/4" thick on outer wall) to withstand any torque at 540 RPM under a load is insane. And the kicker of all this is, their redesign of this is the only parts offered, so the remaining pieces i could have salvaged that were not destroyed are trash, and i have to completely replace ever part in the rear housing on my dime. This tractor is warrantied for 36 months on the drivetrain or 2000 hours. Of course my tractor is 6 months out of warranty and has less than 300 hours of total run time, of which only a few hours of use on the rear PTO. A supervisor from JD is supposedly going to get back with me in the next 48 hours to discuss, but my hopes are dwendling of getting them to help I will keep you posted as to how they handle this situation. If it turns out to be negative support from John Deere in helping owners of the 2210 and 2305 to repair their machines, i would like to know if any other members on here are interested in joining my lead in a class action lawsuit against them. Thanks

Supervisor from John Deere called me back today. She first said that "With your tractor being 2 years out of warranty and with 600 hours on it, we can not offer you any assistance." I then had to inform her that both of those statements were false. My tractor has 200 something hours and is only 6 months out of the drive-train warranty. She had already made up her mind and insisted that there was nothing John Deere would do. Is this the type of service and quality that most John Deere consumers are subjected to? I am working my way up the ladder trying to get some assistance on this matter.

Long story short after hours and hours on the phone with dozens of different John Deere managers and customer service representatives, including the territory rep here in southwest Ohio, John Deere didn't lift a thumb to help me on discounting parts or labor for this repair. In the end, the owner of the dealership where the tractor was purchased, gave me an 18% discount on parts, mainly to just get me off his back. After an exhaustive battle for almost 3 months, and without my front end loader and mower (manure piling up and grass getting high), i gave in and bought the parts at the discounted rate. It took 4 friends and myself working very hard 1 whole weekend and 5 nights after work repairing this transmission. Attached are pictures of the flaw and repair. Note: The new transmission that replaces the old has an bearing wall thickness nearly 3 times thicker than original design. What a nightmare this has been.

It is now that i feel that a lawsuit to force John Deere to reimburse all 2305 owners who have had to make this repair themselves on their dime and to force a recall of all 2007 and older 2305/2210 tractor to have the new transmission design installed.

If you have an interest or questions about this repair, please email me directly at JBarnes6767@gmail.com or send me a message on this site.

Thanks

Jacob Barnes

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/93929-2210-2305-rear-power-take.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/107269-i-broke-power-take-off.html

That sucks - JD should supply kits at a significant discount.

D.

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #4  
Do you have a comparison of the new vs. old parts?

Would be interesting to see the size differences.

D.

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #5  
My hat off to you for taking on that task. Great job. That is a major tear down. I have a 2305 but rarely use the pto. Poor job and support on JD's part.

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #6  
very interesting. i have read way to many threads addressing this same issue and today, it may have happened to my grandpa's 2210. he was mowing the lawn with his 54" MMM and hit a root. Instantly killed the tractor and bent the mower blade. He just started it right back up and finished mowing. Got the blade fixed but the whole rear end of the tractor vibrates real bad, especially at mid RPM but the PTO still works. Reading this review, that seems like a lot of hard work just to fix one of John Deere's mistakes. Also, when you have it in the rear and rear/mid PTO range, the PTO brake is set but when it is just with the MMM, the brake does not work for the rear PTO. is that normal? I hooked my tiller to it recently and had it in mid PTO range but remember the PTO brake being set since it was a hassle to hook up the PTO shaft. i may be wrong but there is something wrong in the tranny. :(:(:(

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #7  
Sorry to hear about your troubles. The unfortunate truth in the internet day and age is that you have to make a big stink online in order to get any attention. This is true with any company these days. I have read time and time again where a company which is being completely unfair or ignoring a consumer with a legitimate complaint only steps up when the consumer's facebook, blog or twitter account posts the problems for the world to see. You could start a twitter account for free, and register mylemonjondeere.com for $10 and start peppering them with negative publicity. Perhaps then you might get some of your money back.

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #9  
   / John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #10  
Sorry to hear about your troubles. The unfortunate truth in the internet day and age is that you have to make a big stink online in order to get any attention. This is true with any company these days. I have read time and time again where a company which is being completely unfair or ignoring a consumer with a legitimate complaint only steps up when the consumer's facebook, blog or twitter account posts the problems for the world to see. You could start a twitter account for free, and register mylemonjondeere.com for $10 and start peppering them with negative publicity. Perhaps then you might get some of your money back.

I disagree with this statement, there are still a lot of companies who stand behind their products, it is too bad a great old name like Deere is not one of them