snowblower for 140 H1

/ snowblower for 140 H1 #1  

rockriver

Tractor
John Deere 140 H1
This year I bought my first JD tractor, a model 140 H1 and I'm thinking about getting a snowblower for it. My VT property is on a hill and I'd like to be able to clear a path from my driveway up to my house and there up to my chicken coop. I'm not sure if the 140 is up to the task or if this is just a hare-brained idea. So I'd like to ask the wise people here for some opinions.

First of course, am I asking too much? The maximum grade is 8 to 10 degrees. Tractor's rear tires are firestone turf & garden 23x8.5-12; should I get tires with a better "bite"? Presumably I'd need chains and/or wheel weights at the least.

Would I be better served with a walk-behind self-propelled snowblower?

I see a used 38 LT snowblower for sale, would this fit my 140?

I also see jimsrepairjimstractors.com sells a Berco snowblower that goes on the 140. Is this a good outfit to deal with, and is the product high quality? I'd have to have it shipped to VT, does anyone know a better source for the equipment closer to my area?

Thanks!
Jason

/ snowblower for 140 H1 #2  
The 140 H1 should be able to use either the #49 single stage or #47 dual-stage snowthrowers. The #47 may require H3, if you find one w/ hydraulic chute control, so I would focus on the #49 single stage which I think would work well for your stated use case. A #38 will not work on the 140 to my knowledge.

You will absolutely need tire chains and rear weight, and alot of it. I would go with at least ~100lbs on each wheel and another 100 on the rear hitch, the more the better. I've been told turf tires are actually better for the snow because the tire makes more contact with the ground. A proper set of chains would provide all the bite you will need.

You don't mention if the surface is paved, gravel or dirt. With gravel or dirt, the single-stage thrower will need to be set at maximum height, you won't be able to clear down to the surface. You may still need to finish off with some rock salt.

I've never dealt w/ Jim's, I can't comment on that question, but properly equipped the 140 should handle what you describe.

Good luck.

Last edited:
   / snowblower for 140 H1 #3  
If I were to invest in a snowblower for the 140, it would be a Deere just to protect the investment. I'd think it would be worth more with a Deere blower than an off-brand. Just my :2cents:

The 140 handled snowblowers very well. Especially because they had dual rear wheel brakes.

/ snowblower for 140 H1
Thanks for the answers! Actually I'd be running the snowblower over grass, and it's fine for our purposes to leave some snow on the ground. I'm not real worried about resale value.

Makes sense what you say about the tires, I guess tread with bite is better for dirt.