955 issue

/ 955 issue #1  

jxhopper

My 955 started having an issue yesterday. I was mowing and suddenly it died. After cranking several times, it starts back up, then dies after running about a minute or so. This is independent of the PTO engagement. Does it regardless.

Runs for a short time, then sputters out. Crank for a long time, it catches and starts running, then sputters out (repeat cycle).

I am thinking it must be a fuel issue.. perhaps the filter clogged?

Anyone else have a good idea or seen this before?

Thanks,

Jason

/ 955 issue #2  
I would start with the fuel filter...at least dumping out the bowl and getting some fresh fuel running through. If you suspect fuel, then maybe it has been awhile since the bowl has been emptied of water. :)

/ 955 issue
Thanks. Will check it out!

/ 955 issue #4  
Don't rule out the possibility that you're not getting the fuel out of the tank. Easiest way to check is to add a gallon or so of fuel, make sure the fuel system is bled., and see if the problem is gone. your description sounds just like my 755 the first time it "ran out of fuel" with a half tank showing on the gauge. There's a thread in this forum about the fuel pickup coming apart in the tank and so fuel feed being interrupted when the level drops below a certain point.

/ 955 issue #5  
Dido on the fuel pickup tube in the tank breaking . is your tank in front or mid? its very common problem on the 55s with the front tank.

/ 955 issue #6  
Dido on the fuel pickup tube in the tank breaking . is your tank in front or mid? its very common problem on the 55s with the front tank.

All 955's have the mid mount fuel tank.

/ 955 issue #7  
guess its only 755s and 855s then.sorry

/ 955 issue #8  
When the 955 was introduced it had a significantly higher (advertised at least) fuel consumption rate than the 855, so it required a larger tank. Thus the switcheroo of the battery and tank from the beginning to get more room for it. Because they could, they changed the 855 over at the same time. The shorter wheelbase of the 755 did not allow enough room for the change so they all kept the smaller tank.

/ 955 issue #9  
Although the tank might not be in the same place, the same line/hose in the tank can break or the particles screen at the end of the hose might get clogged. It is worth checking.

/ 955 issue
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I took apart the bowl and didn't see any trash. Put it back together and still had the same issue.

I went and filled the tank up with fresh diesel and the problem went away. So I guess it's one of 2 issues:

1: a bad tank of fuel
2: a busted or clogged pickup.

I will find out if the level drops below a 1/4 tank and the issue returns.

Thanks again, you guys are great!

One more question, how hard is it to replace the pickup line?