Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nothing but high speed in drive.

Maintain and use a JD4400 with hydrstatic trany (think it's an 01) for an employer. Had hydro leaks at seals on the loader control valves, which caused a lose of oil. replaced seals, checked hydro level window, was full. Tractor ran fine for a couple of months. then I hooked up an airrator that has a single ram for raising and lowering the unit. The ram was new and I used the hydro lines from the mower decks ram. Before job was done, the boss used the tractor to airate some of the grass. He complained of no low gears only high, no neutral also. when in lower gear selections. engine boggs down a little but no movement. checked hydro level when I learned of his situation and found window to be empty, told him it was my fault for not posting the tractor, do not use. We need lower gears for fine jobs. All other systems work fine, like PS, brakes, loader and atachments. I filled with new hydro oil that was sent to us from dealer. I have no operator's manual to trouble shoot the system, I know it's probably a bad filter, air in system or some such BS. Hope problem does not indicate an issue that requires a trany service. Any info would be very gratefull. Also, Is there any setting or something I might not know of that prohibits the lower gears from working?

Gold Member

Default Re: Nothing but high speed in drive.

Quote Originally Posted by dryfire152 View Post
    Maintain and use a JD4400 with hydrstatic trany (think it's an 01) for an employer. Had hydro leaks at seals on the loader control valves, which caused a lose of oil. replaced seals, checked hydro level window, was full. Tractor ran fine for a couple of months. then I hooked up an airrator that has a single ram for raising and lowering the unit. The ram was new and I used the hydro lines from the mower decks ram. Before job was done, the boss used the tractor to airate some of the grass. He complained of no low gears only high, no neutral also. when in lower gear selections. engine boggs down a little but no movement. checked hydro level when I learned of his situation and found window to be empty, told him it was my fault for not posting the tractor, do not use. We need lower gears for fine jobs. All other systems work fine, like PS, brakes, loader and atachments. I filled with new hydro oil that was sent to us from dealer. I have no operator's manual to trouble shoot the system, I know it's probably a bad filter, air in system or some such BS. Hope problem does not indicate an issue that requires a trany service. Any info would be very gratefull. Also, Is there any setting or something I might not know of that prohibits the lower gears from working?
    on my 4310 hst the pedals and solenoid valves have to be calibrated with the drive controller.

I do it by turning on the key to run and not starting the engine waiting a few 5 seconds or so and pushing them to the floor and waiting 5 seconds or so, this tells the controller what the full travel is after the forward pedal is calibrated do the same for the reverse pedal and while you're at it the throttle, same procedure.

to calibrate the proportional valves is a more involved procedure, again on my 4310, i have to move a fuse from one position to another and start the engine and replace the fuse this puts the controller in a full calibration mode

that is the procedure on my 4310

my tractor stopped moving so I had to drag out the manual and take a crash course, I have to order a new drive controller tomorrow.

on the 4400 it may be different so check with a dealer and ask about it, before you start replacing expensive parts or drag it in for something you can do with no tools

Thanks for the info, Will check into that Monday, What we need is the manual and the boss does not want to pay the money for it. Hopefully I can find help when I call a JD sevice tech.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

Dryfire

You should try to get ahold of the tech manual on CD or on paper for the 4400.
    The boss surely wants this expensive tractor to do some work for him.

I will tell him to get them, I agree, we have service manuals to all the other equipment. Thanks.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

The 4100, 4200,4300's etc are a different control system than the 4110's. The 4300 HST had a direct valve on the pedals but the newer models went electric relays.
    Sounds to me like you might have a problem with the linkage on the shift (Hi, Low, mid range) lever (hopefully)

That was the first thing I looked at. seems fine to me. A, N, and B are gone. C works fine. When in A, N and B, I press the forward peddle or reverse with the throttle at 2500, the rpm drops about 1k and goes back to 2500 in 1 sec.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

Quote Originally Posted by pat32rf View Post
    The 4100, 4200,4300's etc are a different control system than the 4110's. The 4300 HST had a direct valve on the pedals but the newer models went electric relays.
    Sounds to me like you might have a problem with the linkage on the shift (Hi, Low, mid range) lever (hopefully)
    Pat
    Keep the 4200, 4300, and 4400 in a "like" category. But leave out the 4100 as it is in a very different grouping. Just to avoid confusion.

You are right, that things are different when moving up to the 4210, 4310, and 4410.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 1520

I think its very likely that your range shifter fork has broken in the range section of the trans. check the range lever and linkage first. The hydro trans sounds like it works ok just stuck in c range . deere had an issue with these on the early 42 43 4400s. I hope I am wrong for you and your bosses sake as this somewhat of an expensive repair labor wise.
    " If I`m curt with you its because time is a factor." "If my helps not appreciated lots of luck gentlemen."

While useing the tractor today, I went up a steep bank towing the airator. C could not handle it and the Engine stalled, I put on park brake and restarted. Released brake and pushed on forward pedal, The pedal would not move. shift lever would not move either. thought for a second and forced the forward pedal while lightly nudging shift out of C. Went into B and I made it up the hill. Now all I had was B, a lot slower but more power. After six hours of airating in B, I pushed on the brake while answering my phone. went to go again and nothing, put back into C and that was all I had again. What the ****? I realy hope the trany does not have to come apart. I can do it, but it prob requires special tools for sure. the tractor is a 99, not a 01, 1500 hours and the boss payed 20k for it. included backhoe , loader and mowing deck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast