Oil & Fuel John Deere 5425 Need Help..Starting Problems

/ John Deere 5425 Need Help..Starting Problems #1  

Dorie L

Deere tells my father "He is the only person that has starting problems with a 5425 tractor". We are looking for any service updates issued by Deere or any information on a 5425 tractor with starting problems. If Deere has any service updates out there that would be useful, or if you have this problem with your 5400 series tractor...we want to hear about it. I would like to know how I can contact you to discuss your situation. I bet we are all in the same boat....Thanks yall!

/ John Deere 5425 Need Help..Starting Problems #2  
I'd go to my Deere dealer for service updates. Is there a reason they are not communicating with you? When you say Deere "tells your father....", is this the dealer or Deere?

What can you tell us about the starting problems?

/ John Deere 5425 Need Help..Starting Problems
Both the local dealer and the Deere Corporation have stated on numerous occassions that he is the only customer with a 5425 loosing prime and not starting. They have heard of no one else with this problem.

/ John Deere 5425 Need Help..Starting Problems #4  
tell your dealer to look at dtac for a loosing prime starting problem. you could try a check valve in the fuel line and you may or may not see results. the only way we've found to completely solve the issue, is to follow deere's dtac solution and add an electric fuel pump to the tractor. there is a dtac solution that has the parts and instructions needed to fix. deere will even pay for it if your tractor is still in warranty.

hope this helps.

/ John Deere 5425 Need Help..Starting Problems #5  
does it usually start after cranking 10 seconds or so?

Only after the lines have been bled. The entire system has been replaced with the exception of installing an electric fuel pump. Check valve installed too. Have you had this problem?

/ John Deere 5425 Need Help..Starting Problems #7  
From Deere DTAC solution 54399. Hope this helps.

Solution :

Check for any leaks, loose clamps, restrictions, and pinched fuel hoses. Also inspect the fuel strainer, the check valve, and the fuel filter primer assembly's plugs and diaphragm. If these items to not resolve the issue, installing an electric fuel pump may help.

Install electric fuel pump and re-reroute lines.

1. Cut the fuel supply line and install electric fuel pump AL168483. See photos for mounting: 54399a. 54399b.
2. Route the pump outlet to the Filter inlet - 1 piece line.
3. On the Front side of the Filter Head, remove the plug that is on the Engine side. Install 61M5015 Elbow fitting, the opening should be facing downward. Install Barbed Fitting R268896 and Nut 38H5078. See photo: 54399c.
4. Use the same size Fuel line that is used for the Return line.
5. Route the line from this fitting on the Filter Head, to the Rear of the engine where the Fuel Return line connects.
6. Install N154080 Tee Fitting, this Tee will connect the Return from the Engine & Filter/Water Separator to the Fuel Return to Tank line. See photos: 54399d. 54399e.
7. Disconnect the PTO switch, the pump wiring harness will connect between the PTO switch & the cab harness.
8. Connect the red and black wires with ring terminals to switched power at the accessory junction block and the long lead (green and black) to the fuel pump using the short jumper harness. Unless the harness manufacturer made a mistake; the wire terminals on the pump are sized differently to fit the correct terminals. Also, the end of the pump is marked near the terminal posts. See photo: 54399f.
9. Run the harness branch with the relay and the 典ee connectors across the back of the cab and under the cover with the controller. See photo: 54399g.
10. Remove the RE206064 jumper plug from the main harness and place the 典ee in between.

FOR MACHINES WITH MECHANICAL PTO:

1. For power, splice into the PTO switch harness connection at the mechanical engagement handle.
2. Change the eyelet on the harness to connect to the main fuse panel stud.
3. Run a ground wire to a suitable location on the tractor..

To install this pump you must order the following parts.
(1) - R269133 - Fuel Pump Mounting Plate
(1) - AL169412 - Clamp
(1) - 19M7867 - Screw
(1) - 14M7298 - Flange Nut
(1) - AL168483 - Fuel Pump
(1) - AL154046 - Fitting
(1) - RE218699 - Fitting
(1) - 14M7139 - Nut
(1) - R270247 - Nut
(1) - RE270815 - Wiring Harness
(1) - RE271703 - Wiring Harness
(1) - 61M5015 - Elbow Fitting (consists of 38H5015 elbow and T77814 o-ring)
(1) - R268896 - Barbed Fitting (this will be added to the end of 61M5015)
(1) - 38H5078 - Nut
(1) - N154080 - Tee Fitting
(4) - RE187161 - Clamp

Hey thanks for posting the Deere update! A dealership here locally was able to supply a copy just last week, however, the copy I received (down at the very bottom) lists several models that the addition of a fuel pump is not a correct solution. They stated that the addition of a fuel pump is not applicable with straddle mount and narrow tractors including the 5425. Did your copy have that information at the bottom...if not, I question if the solution release dates are the same. September 4, 2008 is on the copy I have.

I know that there have been several forum members post in the past problems with their 5000 series tractors loosing prime, and I think that posting the solution will be very beneficial to them!

/ John Deere 5425 Need Help..Starting Problems #9  
Hey thanks for posting the Deere update! A dealership here locally was able to supply a copy just last week, however, the copy I received (down at the very bottom) lists several models that the addition of a fuel pump is not a correct solution. They stated that the addition of a fuel pump is not applicable with straddle mount and narrow tractors including the 5425. Did your copy have that information at the bottom...if not, I question if the solution release dates are the same. September 4, 2008 is on the copy I have.

I know that there have been several forum members post in the past problems with their 5000 series tractors loosing prime, and I think that posting the solution will be very beneficial to them!

Our 5420 might take 10 seconds of cranking if it has sat for 2 months but it always starts. Check your fuel lines and make sure they are not cracked. Ours were weather cracked and I replaced them.

He says he checked and the hoses are good. To my knowledge the entire system has been replaced with the exception of the fuel tank and addition of an electric pump...that Deere states will not work for the 5425. I put a call into Stanadyne in CT this week and asked if they have a recall or service update out for their fuel systems, and they said no. The Stanadyne rep did mention that it is a known fact that some of the 5000 series machines have a fuel supply line that runs directly out of the tank and underneath the tank itself. He said that during the design and manufacturing stages at Deere, the engineers did not compensate for the weight of a full fuel tank...they never fill them up completely at the factory...and the supply line can sometimes become pinched. I have not researched this issue any further, so I am not certain if it pertains to the 5425. I have seen on another fourm where this is a booger to re-route.

Also, I noticed on the Deere website while looking at the parts diagram for the water seperator that there is an internal o-ring that Deere is now using a replacement part for...it is listed as SUB RE516553...I believe that it is located underneath the primer internally. I questioned the Stanadyne rep if this was a replacement part due to a defect and he said no. Hummmmmm?

Has anyone heard about Stanadyne producing faulty water seperators or having air leaks? You guys out there know more about this than I do, and I thank you for your input.