New to the site

/ New to the site #1  

zigzag488

Tractor
JD 5055E
Hello to all.
Well as I stated am new to this site, I have been lurking here for a few weeks and desided to join, as you fellows have a world of knowledge. In my past life I owned a 495 2wd and a 695 4wd case tractor with loader. I used to own and run a 6000 tap maple syrup oppration. The divorce messed that up, but enough of that crap. Now to the point. I have perchased 75 acres of witch most of it is woods, there is about 10 acres that was farmed 30 years ago. I would like to put the 10 acres back into vegatable prodution. There are many small trees (up to 6 inches dia) that have to be removed before I can put the land into production. Here is my dilema. Been looking at the
5055E as well as the 110tlb and I will be dammed if I can make up my mind
as to what machine to perchase. I guess I am hung up mostly on the HP and
the nature of both machines. Can someone tell me it the model 48 backhoe
attachment is a fairly robust machine? I am leaning toward the 5055 as my main plans in the future revolve around general farm work and am not sure if
the 110tlb has just quite enough PTO HP. Would love to here from any and all
but especially anyone that has experiance with the JD 48 hoe.

Thanks again and sorry about rambling on so much.

/ New to the site #2  
zigzag,
Welcome to the forum:D

As you know choosing the right tractor can be a tough decision. Obviously the two machines you are considering are very different builds and each have their benefits. I have used my 110 to perform cleanup work with decent success, not sure it would be my tractor of choice for vegetable farming though.

Without pictures it would be hard to know what to recommend for the clean up operation but you may be better off to contract this part out. Then purchase a tractor specifically for the farming needs. I suspect buying a hoe attachment would cost enough to be a large portion of the cleanup costs. I don't think the clean up equipment needed for this project is similar in any way to what you would want for vegetable farming.

/ New to the site
I agree jenkin but the cost to have this contracted out, at least here in ontario is well over the cost of buying a 48 hoe to do the job. And at the end of the day I still have the hoe (to dig poatatoes Laughs ). I have lots of time to do the work myself that is not an issue. But am really wondering bout the power of the 48 hoe

/ New to the site #4  
Hi Zigzag:

I think yours questions would be better asked and answered in the John Deere Buying/Pricing forum.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

-Bill

/ New to the site
Well I posted it here cause I wanted to hear from people that own these tractors not from someone that is in the same boat as me with buying one.

/ New to the site #6  
zigzag,
If you want a hoe then the 110tlb might be a good choice. The hydraulic setup on the 110 with the optional setup is better than Deere's new offerings for the 2011 tractors. Now I don't know anything about vegetable farming but the 110tlb is very similar to the 4x20 tractors in size and stance. It has the same wheelbase, tires, wheels and 3pt hitch capacity as the 4X20 tractors. A fully optioned 110tlb with a grapple added would perform most of your jobs.

/ New to the site
Thanks jenkin for the addvice