Loader backhoe or backhoe attachment for 4520

/ Loader backhoe or backhoe attachment for 4520 #1  

bigjohnhunt

I have recently acquired some land. There are quite a few downed cedar trees, some with root ball still in the ground. I am going to need to clean these up and remove other cedars and small oaks, pecans to clear the way for a driveway and pad for barn and house. Most are probably no bigger than 8"-12" around.

Next year I will purchase a 4520/box blade for the driveway construction and other uses.

My question is should I go ahead and purchase a reasonable loader backhoe, under $9000 to use to clear the trees and brush? Or should I just get the backhoe attachment for the 4520?

I know that the loader backhoe will come in handy for digging ditches, etc.

Thanks for any tips or info.

/ Loader backhoe or backhoe attachment for 4520 #2  
If you could find a good backhoe for that money, I would say do that. But usually a 9000 dollar machine is wore out and going to cost you time and money. I think the backhoe attachment on your tractor would serve you well for a long time.

/ Loader backhoe or backhoe attachment for 4520 #3  
What I did was buy the 110tlb new with a Laurin cab in 2005. At that time I also purchased the 3pt top and tilt and a BB1284 boxblade. Used this for the first few years to perform clean up. After this was paid off I purchased the 4520 cab and tiller to perform final smoothing and planting. So far this has worked well for me, I think in the long term getting the right tools for the job and taking care of them is the correct play. The 110 and 4520 are well matched to share implements too.

/ Loader backhoe or backhoe attachment for 4520 #4  
I'd be the last one to talk someone out of buying an attachment, but since this is new land look at the cost of having either a "grown man" backhoe and/or trackloader come in and do all the big clean up and rough grading. They can leave stumps where the sit, not worry about little piles of dirt, etc.

Then when you get your 4520, loader, and box blade you can do all the fine work. During an initial "put in access roads" phase and during construction of our house I often paid $500 to $1000 for a day of grown man equipment work that would have taken me two weeks to do. Since the big stuff just has to get close (no need for a smooth finish), it takes them about half the time of their doing a full job. Around here, there are $100 to $250 "transportation fees", so I try to have a list of things to do and get as much as I can in a single day. Often the transportation fee is at the $100 end if you get a full 7 hours, and is $250 if you only want an hour or two.

When you're all done, you might still have $4000 lying around ready for an implement (or more big stuff contracting). Yeah, it kinda hurts to pay someone else to play but things will go a lot better in the long run and you still get plenty of seat time. It may also change what you're planning to do since doing bigger stuff is possible, and the outcome is often better than being limited by what your CUT can do. At various times I've had a track loader, excavator, backhoe, bulldozer and pan out here.

Pete

/ Loader backhoe or backhoe attachment for 4520 #5  
I agree with Pete on contracting out the large stuff but have found most new posters dont want to hear this.:(

This is particularly good advice if you have some brutal jobs to get done quickly.

/ Loader backhoe or backhoe attachment for 4520 #6  
If you have the money but not time, use a contractor to get the big stuff done. If like me, you have more time than money, you can get a lot done with a 4520 and the hoe. Some times you have to work smarter and use finesse not force.

I had a friend in S Oregon, who bought a used Case construction hoe, put about 3 grand into a partial refurb, used it to build his home and sold it for 5 thousand more than the cost+ refurb (10 years ago). But with the construction market the way it is now...

Unless you are going to crop, take a good look at the JD 110TLB. It has a better hoe and may fill your need more. Not the same pull power as the 4520, but for hoe ops it is much better.

/ Loader backhoe or backhoe attachment for 4520
Thanks for the input. Lots of good options. I dont mind doing the work, just wondering if the 485 backhoe on the 4520 can dig up the trees. Not in a rush either, not going to build the house for a couple of years, but would like to get the barn done maybe next year.

/ Loader backhoe or backhoe attachment for 4520 #8  
Thanks for the input. Lots of good options. I dont mind doing the work, just wondering if the 485 backhoe on the 4520 can dig up the trees. Not in a rush either, not going to build the house for a couple of years, but would like to get the barn done maybe next year.
The 485 BH is decent for digging ditches and lighter work, but digging out 8"-12" trees will be a chore as well as very time consuming. At least, that has been my experience. And, I would not even consider buying a older cheap brute backhoe like Case or JD (again) -- those machines are much more capable but more prone to breaking down with expensive repairs, don't ask how I know this. Anyway, I was faced with a similar task as you this past summer and I hired out the HD work to professionals even though I own a JD 4320 with FEL and 485 BH which I did use for all the ditching for electric, gutters, water lines, and finish work for yard and road. I'd do it the same way again unless I had a ton of money and could afford a new track hoe.