Dr wood chipper PTO driven

/ Dr wood chipper PTO driven #1  

Ezlivn

Silver Member
Tractor
2001 JD 790
   / Dr wood chipper PTO driven #2  
I believe the DR chippers are made by MacKissic. I have the TPH-122 smaller one. It is an excellent machine. It's SO much easier to maintain the chipper blade and hammers than a Troy Bilt is. Don't know whether the bigger machines have the same configuration of chipper blade and hammers, but it's likely done well.

I just bought a DR oil extractor that, in my searches, seems to be made by Pela. I also owned a couple of other DR pieces: battery powered lawn mower and the wheeler weed eater.

Ralph

/ Dr wood chipper PTO driven #3  
I have a DR 3 pt chipper for my 3320 and love it. It seems that it gets bashed some on the forums but I would buy it over again in an instant. $1000 is a steal as long as it is decent shape. I find that the blade needs to be changed after about 10-15 hours of chipping for best performance and spares can be bought for aboutt $50. I have 2 spares on hand.

Attachments

• _MG_4777.jpg
    _MG_4777.jpg
    730 KB · Views: 1,149
   / Dr wood chipper PTO driven #4  
I like my DR 3 point chipper too. Its been dependable, but you gotta red- loc-tite the set screws into the keyed shafts and stuff, because it wants to vibrate that stuff loose over time.

Sharp blade is Key. Dull blade makes it work like crap.
Its not the easiest machine to "Feed", but its just fine for my needs. I'd buy it again if I needed to.

/ Dr wood chipper PTO driven #5  
I like my DR 3 point chipper too. Its been dependable, but you gotta red- loc-tite the set screws into the keyed shafts and stuff, because it wants to vibrate that stuff loose over time.

Sharp blade is Key. Dull blade makes it work like crap.
Its not the easiest machine to "Feed", but its just fine for my needs. I'd buy it again if I needed to.

Have to agree on that point. I had to do the same thing. I think chipping with a dull blade or chipping dry trees leads to a lot of vibration.

/ Dr wood chipper PTO driven #6  
I too have an older DR PTO chipper. I bought the less expensive model with the bottom discharge. If I had to do it over, I'd opt for the chute model, as that eliminates having to constantly remove chip debris. Another aspect of maintainence is make sure you maintain the knife/guide clearance at the minimum 1/8th inch. This will make feeding much easier

/ Dr wood chipper PTO driven
Thanks guys....I'm waiting on a response from that guy selling the DR. I hate when people don't put their contact info along with the ad on Craigslist.

Bob there is also a Woods 5000 chipper for sale in your area down in Palermo. Decisions decions. lolol My office is in Augusta so I may have to check that one out on my next sales meeting day.

Thanks for all the help guys. :)

Bob I just checked out all your photos! OMG!!! lol Nice tractor and I can only wish to have as many attachments as you do.
And the KIDS....wow...I love em. I have the odd couple.....a Golden and a Pug!!

Great pictures!!! Thanks!

/ Dr wood chipper PTO driven #9  
...there is also a Woods 5000 chipper for sale in your area down in Palermo. Decisions decions. lolol My office is in Augusta so I may have to check that one out on my next sales meeting day.

Thanks for all the help guys. :)

I can't help you out with the DR unit (although when I looked at them a few years back...can't say I was impressed).

I can attest to that Woods 5000 though, since I bought a low hours machine last year. I paid a grand. Well built and robust. The downside is the Woods drops the chips directly below the machine (DR has a blower/chute). The Woods chipper was bought when I still had my 790. It was a good match.

Used PTO chippers aren't on the market too long unless they're unreasonably priced or a real POS...

Attachments

• Tractor Chipper_2.jpg
    Tractor Chipper_2.jpg
    957.7 KB · Views: 2,166
Thanks Roy......the Woods is $200 more than the DR but i think it may be worth it. Not sure on the condition of it as the guy has no pics of it. I'm not willing to commit to it without seeing it or at least some good pictures of it.
Woods 5000 for $1,200 and has no chute
DR for $1,000 with chute
Hmmmm