Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Default Re: What is E-Hydro?

K7LN I have a K2, it beats the pants off my old Heathkits. Is it more complex? You bet! Want to give up an automatic antenna tuner? I think I'll keep mine.
    Icom 756pro3 here. I am not giving up my spectrum display, or fast, quiet, fully automatic antenna tuner, even tho most of the componets in the radio are Surface Mount Devices, and you need a microscope to see them. Nothing mechanical in the radio, not even the volume control, the control just tells the microprocessor where to set the audio, I can control everything from the pc just as easy. I think complex things are here to stay
    James K0UA
    James K0UA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner NRA Life Member How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN .

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Quote Originally Posted by Riverrat View Post
    Do any of y'all still use rotary phones. Ha. Just joking.
    I wish I had one...I guess from watching too many shows from the 70's...
    Kyle - CompactTractorFan

Kubota BX25 w/R4's (23 hp, 17.7 PTO hp), Loader, Backhoe, 60" Mid Mount Mower, Cyclone Rake Z-10 Lawn Vacuum, CountyLine Carryall, Ferris 48" Walk-Behind Mower, Honda 21" Walk-Behind Mower, Mighty Mac 4" Chipper/Shredder,
    2000 Dodge Intrepid, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost

Tractor
    2000 Power Trac 422

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-D View Post
    One of the reasons I own a non-turbo tractor is because of the extra parts. BUT, they are mechanical parts adding to a mechanical system.

I think everyone will agree that today's TV's are much more complex but who wants to go back to a round picture tube from 1950?
    Anyone here want to give up their laptop for a typewriter and snail mail?
    What we're talking about is technology. Whether it's an LCD TV or ABS, both are better systems. Air bags save lives, are they complex? Sure. I like my plain mechanical lathes but when you need one there's nothing like CNC or the controlled arc of a TIG welder.

K7LN I have a K2, it beats the pants off my old Heathkits. Is it more complex? You bet! Want to give up an automatic antenna tuner? I think I'll keep mine.

Rob
    I think there are areas where the new technology gives value (ABS, high def TV, air bags, fuel injection, internet,etc.). But many of the things we get just add complexity (electric windows, 8 channel stereo, heads up display, etc.). I have never had to repair a hand cranked car window. I have fixed many electrics. Heck I rarely lower window. I find that you pay for the complexity twice: 1. When you purchase it, 2. When you fix it. It seems easier to keep a car a long time if it is simple. If you have a minor accident in an old car and the air bag is deployed, the car may still drive, but the insurance company will total the car for the air bag. I wish we could pick what options we want, but we cannot. On a tractor after 20 years or so the parts for the electronics probably will not be available or repairable. Tractor is now totaled. Very sad
    Bob Rip
    Tell me and I will hear.
    Show me and I will see.
    Let me do and I will learn.
    Let me fail and I will understand.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobRip

I think there are areas where the new technology gives value (ABS, high def TV, air bags, fuel injection, internet,etc.). But many of the things we get just add complexity (electric windows, 8 channel stereo, heads up display, etc.). I have never had to repair a hand cranked car window. I have fixed many electrics. Heck I rarely lower window. I find that you pay for the complexity twice: 1. When you purchase it, 2. When you fix it. It seems easier to keep a car a long time if it is simple. If you have a minor accident in an old car and the air bag is deployed, the car may still drive, but the insurance company will total the car for the air bag. I wish we could pick what options we want, but we cannot. On a tractor after 20 years or so the parts for the electronics probably will not be available or repairable. Tractor is now totaled. Very sad
    I feel otherwise. I work on my 74 bronco more often than any other vehicle. Some are modern and old. I don't think I have ever had an electric lock failure or a electric window failure. For that fact my automatic transmission in my tow vehicle has never failed but replaced 3 clutches in standard models. Mechanical is a fact of life. They are all solid platforms and one should have little reservation when choosing. It's a personal choice.

RR.

Tractor
    John Deere 755 purchased new in 1993

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    Icom 756pro3 here. I am not giving up my spectrum display, or fast, quiet, fully automatic antenna tuner, even tho most of the componets in the radio are Surface Mount Devices, and you need a microscope to see them. Nothing mechanical in the radio, not even the volume control, the control just tells the microprocessor where to set the audio, I can control everything from the pc just as easy. I think complex things are here to stay
    James K0UA
    Yaesu FT-1000MP and Alpha 99 here. Complex, but like TV's, more useful and more reliable than the gear I had 50 years ago. It has never failed, but yes, would be more difficult to repair. That's a decision I made and decided to accept. For me complex has to win out over simple on a case by case basis. I consider my 755 to still be a fairly simple (and extremely reliable) tractor and is the one I prefer. I have no (current) need for the complexities of later models. Having said that, the point could be made mine is somewhat more complex than one thirty years before. So maybe the definition of simple just changes with time.
    JD 755, 70 Loader, 60 inch MMM, Landpride rear blade, Modern box blade, Wallace subsoiler

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5045D, Grasshopper 61" with PowerVac,Gator 825i, Cub Cadet 2145

Quote Originally Posted by BobRip View Post
    Very well put!
    Doc

JD 5045D - Ford 3000
    I live so far out in the boondocks that my TV runs on propane.

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, JD2210

Wow, this thread went nowhere. I opened it expecting to read testimonies about the function of E-Hydro and it's good points/bad points. What I got was personal opinions about things the E-Hydro has nothing to do with.

Can anyone take the time to answer the OPs question and describe the E-Hydro and what it offers?? Improvement over the old Hydro system?? Does it have options like the kubota HST+ system? Thanks for any answers.
    Richard

"Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have."

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

I would have to agree that this is a concern of mine with all tractors electronic controls or not. I suspect gone are the days where you can walk in and buy parts 35 years later as I do with my Deere 820.

Tractor
    John Deere 3320

Mechanical window regulators do break down. As for the electronics, it only gets better. The tractor is not totaled, new technology replaces the old electronics in it.

I've had the technology debate before. The best science can give us physical comfort when you think about it. I'm not completely knocking it, heck I made a living in science but science is getting out of control today, it has become the new God and I'll be the first to admit it.
    This is why the world is running to gather up all the energy resources. Industry is a product of science from the first Wedge wood dishes that made the middle class think they could achieve royalty man has been hooked and has clung to technology.
    I'm sitting here looking at my solar meter that indicates that my house is running completely from the sun, I like to reflect back to 1950 when we got our first TV, technology and its complexity have multiplied 100 fold since then but are we better people? I think 'better' is a relative term and we'll be better when we don't bomb each other. That hasn't changed since the beginning of recorded history.

My two cents,

Rob

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by ovrszd
    Wow, this thread went nowhere. I opened it expecting to read testimonies about the function of E-Hydro and it's good points/bad points. What I got was personal opinions about things the E-Hydro has nothing to do with.

Can anyone take the time to answer the OPs question and describe the E-Hydro and what it offers?? Improvement over the old Hydro system?? Does it have options like the kubota HST+ system? Thanks for any answers.
    I have a 4120 e hydro. I compared it to the 4105 hst and the Kubota grand L 40 hst. The main difference between the e version and the hst is feel. The hst is harsh and There is no cruise option on the JD HST. the Kubota grand L does have that option and is much easier than the 4105 to operate. For me the 4120 package( cruise air seat and tilt steering) was very nice. I also preferred the pedal configuration of the JD over the Kubota. Lastly the Kubota dealership here stinks.

Hope that helped. There are some good comments on my other threads.

Rr

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast