What is E-Hydro?

/ What is E-Hydro? #1  

sqdqo

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 492 w/Quicke Q750 loader
In looking at used tractors I see the term E-Hydro. Whats is it and is it worth having, are there any issues with it?

Last edited:
   / What is E-Hydro? #2  
Re: What si E-Hydro?

E-hydro means an electronically controlled hydrostatic transmission. My 755 is not "E", meaning when I press the pedal I am directly and mechanically operating a valve. With "E", you are operating a variable resistor to control the electronics that then operates the transmission. The E-hydro has lighter pedal feel, and like anything opinions vary. Some say there can be a delay when operating downhill and changing directions. Most seem to have no big complaints. Others who have E-hydro can provide more operator experiences.

/ What is E-Hydro? #3  

As with anything that is drive by wire sooner or later the electronics fail. A mechanical linkage is simple and when it fails you take it off and weld it or something. Good luck with your electronics.

/ What is E-Hydro? #4  

I have a JD 4310 E hydro and I like the way it works, my Kubota has a mechanical hydro and it works good too.

/ What is E-Hydro? #5  

As with anything that is drive by wire sooner or later the electronics fail. A mechanical linkage is simple and when it fails you take it off and weld it or something. Good luck with your electronics.

Today's electronics is pretty bullet proof. Years ago things did fail more but the new connectors and MOSFETS rarely fail. I haven't seen anyone here with an electroinc hydro problem.
I love it and wouldn't be afraid of the electronics.

Rob

/ What is E-Hydro? #6  

I have a 2004 4310 with e-hydro. It almost 800 hrs I have had no trouble. I would not have any other transmission in a tractor. But like anything, opinions vary.

/ What is E-Hydro? #7  

Mine has never given me any trouble. Electonics can be h***, but alot of times the problem can be repaired more easily. As far as electronically controlled devices, the shuttle and alot of planes are controlled with them? Once you get used to them (and I said I never would get the feel from the ground which I now do) works fine for me. They've went quite a ways in my lifetime.

/ What is E-Hydro? #9  

To be fair, there were a significant amount of trouble reports after the initial release of the 4x10 series. After the first run drive controllers and sensors were replaced the number of complaints plummeted.

/ What is E-Hydro? #10  

Laughable. :laughing: With that kind of logic anything that is mechanical will fail sooner or later too, give me a break.