John Deere 246 Corn Planter

/ John Deere 246 Corn Planter #1  

cm9

Tractor
Farmall M
Hi Everyone!!!! Looking for some help with a John Deere 246 planter. My father and I want to plant some field corn for foodplots and also some sweet corn. We have a 246 planter that was my grandfathers but it has been sitting for a long long time. I just pulled it out of the weeds and started oiling and lubing it up. I am hoping everything is going to free up. My questions are: Are parts available for these? I have ordered a parts diagram. Also the fertilizer canisters have rotted off at the base and the seed canisters are rotting at the base but still on the planter. Are the canisteres available? Is this planter worth the time to fix up or should I look elsewhere? I really want to get it working for sentimental reasons. Thanks for any help anyone can provide. I can send some pics of it if that would help.

/ John Deere 246 Corn Planter #2  
SOme parts are available. Corn hoppers are available $68.00 each. Fertilizer hoppers are available for 1956 and later planters but not for pre-1956 vintage. They are $180.00 each. Is it worth it? Not if you plan to fix up and sell it, but for sentimental value and personal satisfaction, only you can answer that. I will say they were really good planters in their day, so it would do a nice job if you can get it fixed up.

/ John Deere 246 Corn Planter
Thanks after checking it out a little further it really isn't in bad shape besides the fertilizers hoppers the only thing it may need is the disc openers for the fertilizer. the ones on there are froze up pretty good but we greased and sprayed them up good so hopefully they will free up.

/ John Deere 246 Corn Planter #4  
Thanks after checking it out a little further it really isn't in bad shape besides the fertilizers hoppers the only thing it may need is the disc openers for the fertilizer. the ones on there are froze up pretty good but we greased and sprayed them up good so hopefully they will free up.

Does anybody know what plate works for today's corn seed? I have a 246 but can't get it to drop seed regularly. Sunflowers worked although too thick, had the sprocket in the high range and plates allowed doubles. Thanks.