2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED!

/ 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED!
See what I meant when I said "one of your most esteemed cohorts"?:D

/ 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED! #12  
After reading this thread and agreeing about that lever grabbing one's clothes or body parts I found a guy with a small but very complete machine shop in his garage to cut off about 2 inches and rethread. Cost about 25.00
Looking forward to getting part back and reinstalling.

/ 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED! #13  
I finally got around to doing mine. Except I cut it off just below the first bend.

Who was it on saturday night live that said -- I love it, I love it, I love it!

Wish I would have done it 4 years ago.

After reading this thread and agreeing about that lever grabbing one's clothes or body parts I found a guy with a small but very complete machine shop in his garage to cut off about 2 inches and rethread. Cost about 25.00
Looking forward to getting part back and reinstalling.

That's great guys! It's a liberating moment, eh? :thumbsup:

FD, did you mean to say that your machinist cut the length back, turned the shaft down, and rethreaded a new post on for the knob or was it actually like I did; cut/welded the threaded portion back on? If the former, I'd sure like to know how that was accomplished (for $25)!

/ 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED! #15  
yes he is cutting the shaft and rethreading for the knob. That is what he quoted over the phone and when I dropped off the lever the price did not change. I think 2 things helped, 1. a cash deal and 2. he works out of his garage.I would agree I am getting a good deal for this job. I will post pics when done, should get it tomorrow night.

/ 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED! #16  
yes he is cutting the shaft and rethreading for the knob. That is what he quoted over the phone and when I dropped off the lever the price did not change. I think 2 things helped, 1. a cash deal and 2. he works out of his garage.I would agree I am getting a good deal for this job. I will post pics when done, should get it tomorrow night.

I am curious how he chucked that bent shaft in the lathe:shocked:

Easy - he chucks the end of the shaft and orbits the lathe around it, ha ha. Na, that's exactly what I was wondering. I'm guessing it'll be cut n welded once he sees it, especially for $25. Hey, maybe the fellow has nothing else to do and likes a good challenge.

Let's see, a CNC mill and a threading cutter might do the job but chances are he'd end up without thread all the way to the bottom of the stub causing the knob to not run all the way down. But if he has the right threading die, he could chase it down. Other than that, I don't know how someone could take any other approach than cutting & welding.

Looking forward to the pics!

/ 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED! #18  
Ok the results are in. He ended up cutting the shaft and drilling it out. Then he tapped it put in a lenght of threaded rod w locktight and then screwed the knob back on. Looks like factory. Cost was $25.00 pics to be posted. Fred

/ 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED! #19  
Ok the results are in. He ended up cutting the shaft and drilling it out. Then he tapped it put in a lenght of threaded rod w locktight and then screwed the knob back on. Looks like factory. Cost was $25.00 pics to be posted. Fred

Thanks fred:thumbsup:

/ 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED! #20  
Pic as promised

Attachments

• KB,Cori bday Coop UofU 106.jpg
    KB,Cori bday Coop UofU 106.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 196