Radio install in 4720 cab

/ Radio install in 4720 cab #1  

jackj

Tractor
JD 4720 White 2-70
My first post so please be patient with me. Have a JD 4720 with 50 hrs. Could not go the big bucks for dealer radio. Have a modern 1 DIN radio I would like to install. I know that I will need to remove the top of the cab (13 bolts) and cut the liner to install radio but still have a few questions. What wiring etc is already in cab. Radio plug, speaker wires, antenna looping around roof, bracket to secure rear of radio, size of speaker needed, connector to adapt my radio (Eclipse) to the tractor. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. By the way this is the coolest tractor I have ever owned - although it is a bit choppy riding when compared to a full size farm tractor - short wheel base.

Thanks in advance!

Jackj

/ Radio install in 4720 cab #2  
I also have a new 4720. The Operator manual is online. The parts manual is $35 on cd. It is very straight forward. I put a horn kit in with no problem. The wiring was already there and I suspect the wiring for the radio is already there also. There probly is an instruction manual in pdf avilable online for more detail.

/ Radio install in 4720 cab #3  
This may sound lazy, but what about finding one of those techie car audio install guys. They typically run ~50$ an hour around here, and they've done this stuff over and over...... Dealing with upholstery tabs, panel tabs, etc has caused me much grief.

BTW, very envious of you both with your cabs!!!!! One day.... I'm coming into my first winter with my blower and no cab, so that day may come sooner than I think!!

-Jer.

/ Radio install in 4720 cab #4  
I have a 3520 cab and factory radio. I have to blast the radio to hear it. Maybe an Iphone, plugged into the charger, with really good sound canceling headphones might be a better choice. You can stream almost any radio station now with the Iphone.

On the otherhand you might want to blast it and find a place for an amp and a subwoofer.

/ Radio install in 4720 cab #5  
What wiring etc is already in cab. Radio plug, speaker wires, antenna looping around roof, bracket to secure rear of radio, size of speaker needed, connector to adapt my radio (Eclipse) to the tractor. Thanks in advance!
Jackj

There are two speaker plugs built into the cab wiring harness. You may have to cut the connector off if it doesn't fit the speakers you choose. From memory, I believe the speakers are 3X5's. We usually just install the deere speaker kit. You will have to drill your own mounting holes in the cab interior even if you get the deere kit. There is an antenna wire ready to go in the harness. There is a plug for a deere radio. More than likely, you will have to cut the deere plug off and wire in the connector for your radio. Hope this helps a little.

In advance, the cab seal is bad about tearing when you take the roof off. You might have to install a new one to keep your a/c performance up and dirt out of the evaporator.

Have a great time!!!

/ Radio install in 4720 cab
Thanks to all for prompt and helpful replies. I'm waiting for a warm day next week to give it a try - my equipment shed has no sides and it is below freezing at night already. Brrr!

Jackj

/ Radio install in 4720 cab #7  
kude said:
I have a 3520 cab and factory radio. I have to blast the radio to hear it. Maybe an Iphone, plugged into the charger, with really good sound canceling headphones might be a better choice. You can stream almost any radio station now with the Iphone.

On the otherhand you might want to blast it and find a place for an amp and a subwoofer.

I use Shure earbuds with my iPhone or iPod (depends on whether or not I want to be reachable). They work well, both at making the music sound nice as well as protecting my inner ear from the abrasive 'crack' of my open 4720's engine. The downside is that if you turn the tunes up too loud you lose the audio feedback from your machine - ie. Lugging, overrevving, belts squealing, etc. I usually have the music low, just background.

They also have an inline mic that allows me to take calls with the buds in my ears. I do have to stop and idle down so that the caller can hear me.

Beware of the dangers of storing your iPhone in the cupholder.....see my post in the "what have you hit with you mower" thread.... The other thing to watch out for is the wire from your player to your ears.... tree limbs seem to be drawn to them....

Now........ I see no reason why one couldn't put in a full 5.1 surround system with a 14" LCD screen, tied to a satellite following live TV system, and the web. That way pasture dragging becomes much less boring, and you'll never miss an episode of Entourage (or Dirty Jobs).....

:)

-Jer.

/ Radio install in 4720 cab #8  

Do you have a factory radio or an aftermarket radio? I put in an aftermarket one and my volume is fine?

/ Radio install in 4720 cab #9  
Do you have a factory radio or an aftermarket radio? I put in an aftermarket one and my volume is fine?

I have the factory radio. All I am saying is the running tractor noise requires increasing the volume. A lot.

/ Radio install in 4720 cab #10  
kude, Mine is the same as yours and totally agree. When I'm finished, and shut it down my ears are ringing so I wear ear plugs and turn it up more. Wish there was some way to deaden the engine sound inside the cab, but till this day I haven't heard any mention of a fix.