John Deere 2210 Antifreeze

/ John Deere 2210 Antifreeze #1  

organ grinder

Bronze Member
My 2210 just turned 200 hours, so I am getting read to change the transmission hydro fluid, the front axle gear oil, the fuel filter, and the oil. The tractor is six years old; I am the second owner. The antifreeze tester still shows five "balls" floating in the tube and a low temp of -30 degrees. Do I also need to change the antifreeze? If so, is it advisable to also flush the engine? If so, how do I do that and what product should I use? The owner's manual does not address when to change the antifreeze or if flushing is advised. It only says to use JD Cool Guard Pre-Diluted Summer Coolant (TY 16036).

Many thanks.

/ John Deere 2210 Antifreeze #2  
Manual says to replace every two years. That is very typical. Old coolant can begin to corrode things with age. The manual also describes the flush procedure.

Two Years or 2000 Hours

キ Flush and replace factory coolant. Flush cooling system and replace coolant with John Deere COOL-GARD??ョ engine coolant.

OMLVU14461_G3

Flushing Cooling System

1. Fill cooling system with clean water and John Deere Cooling System Cleaner, or John Deere Cooling System Quick Flush or an equivalent. Follow directions on the can.

2. Install and tighten radiator cap.

3. Start and run engine until it reaches operating temperature.

c CAUTION: Avoid injury! Engine and coolant will be hot. Avoid contact with skin to prevent serious burns.

4. Stop engine.

5. Open radiator petcock and remove engine block drain plug.

6. Drain cooling system immediately before rust and dirt settle.

7. Close radiator petcock and install engine block drain plug.

/ John Deere 2210 Antifreeze #4  
You probably know this already but there are anti-freeze coolants made specifically for diesel engines. It has to do with preventing cavitation, or pitting of the cylinder liners. You can read some about it here:

Does a 2210 have wet liners?

/ John Deere 2210 Antifreeze #6  
The JD stuff already has the DCA in it, and the price is OK...