LED Lights

/ LED Lights #1  

MikeyB

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3320
I am contemplating adding another light to my rops to aim backwards to help illuminate the rear while snowblowing. I am getting maxed out on amperage so was thinking about adding an led which draws less than 1 amp.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200407598_200407598

Does anyone have experience with LED's? It doesn't give a watt or lumens equivalent so it is hard to make a comparison.

I have done some searching and this is definitely the cheapest LED that I have found.

Any comments appreciated,
Mike

/ LED Lights #2  
That is the same light I put on my BX23 rops facing rear. I added an LED for the same situation you are in. The BX23 has a dynamo, and there is not a lot of wiggle room for extras. I am very happy with that light, very bright and a nice wide beam. I would recommend it.

/ LED Lights
That is the same light I put on my BX23 rops facing rear. I added an LED for the same situation you are in. The BX23 has a dynamo, and there is not a lot of wiggle room for extras. I am very happy with that light, very bright and a nice wide beam. I would recommend it.

Ken,

Thanks for the reply. I have one on order from N'rn Tools. I look forward to the illumination.

Mike

/ LED Lights
Ken,

Regarding the dynamo, I had a 6v 8N and feel your pain in that respect. Would it be possible to retrofit with an alternator?

Mike

/ LED Lights #5  
MikeyB, I think there is a thread where someone did it to a BX23, but I really have no need to do it. The new light is probably all I will ever add to the machine, and it is running fine. Originally I had a 55 watt flood on the rops, and when that burned out, rather than replacing the bulb, I put on the new LED style. I had no trouble with running the old single light, but the LED throws much brighter & whiter light. I only have one rear light, and that seems to be plenty for what I use it for, mostly plowing the 450' driveway at night with a front mounted plow. I don't know how many watts it uses, but I understand it is much less.

/ LED Lights #6  
from the product QA section:
Approximately 340 lumens.

It doesn't give a watt or lumens equivalent so it is hard to make a comparison.
Any comments appreciated,
Mike

/ LED Lights #7  
Lumens are not directly convertible to watts. They reflect the perception of the human eye to light. With that said you can get a rough estimate:
680 lumens = 1 watt.

As far as LEDs go I've noticed a lot of chip manufacturers are now making chips to power LEDs. It used to be a pain because LEDs need current limiting to run efficiently and for a long life. Right now CFLs still beat them in efficiency but LEDs are catching up with the added benefit that they are more durable.

Rob

Last edited:
   / LED Lights
Rob-D said:
Lumens are not directly convertable to watts. They reflect the perception of the human eye to light. With that said you can get a rough estimate:
680 lumens = 1 watt.

As far as LEDs go I've noticed a lot of chip manufacturers are now making chips to power LEDs. It used to be a pain because LEDs need current limiting to run efficiently and for a long life. Right now CFLs still beat them in efficiency but LEDs are catching up with the added benefit that they are more durable.

Rob

Rob,

Thanks, I think!? I'll be really bummed if I only get .5 watts of light.....
Mike

/ LED Lights
MikeyB said:
Rob,

Mike

After some reading, it looks like comparing apples to oranges. Both a measurement but very different. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

/ LED Lights #10  
Rob,

Mike

According to a comment on the web page, Northern Tool says it is a 12 watt light. I really don't think you will be disappointed, it's quite bright. The light that I replaced was a 55 watt 4x6 rectangular halogen flood light, and new light is brighter.